What do you want to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Watching RM on TV got me about outdoors things I want to try. I've wildcamped, canoed, climbed and done other outdoors stuff. I've had a lot of fun volunteering for conservation work too. Met some very knowledgeable people doing that. One old fella knew every plant we could ever come across.

Anyway, after RM's show in Argyll where he was lying against a bank watching sitka deer across some water. I want to try that. I'm talking about spending time out in nature perhaps with someone so knowledgeable. Say a year somewhere like Argyll, just learning about nature, watching animals/plants and just experiencing it all. Perhaps it would take a lottery win to afford it. I'm talking about a fast track to knowledge I don't have.

What would your outdoors or bushcraft thing you really want to try?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I hooked up with a few Scots a couple of years ago and have done plenty of stuff around Argyll in the canoes, they're all full of knowledge too so I've learnt loads on the way.

I'd like to do a stint in Alaska one year, doing the Ed Wardle thing but without the over ruling bear fascination. I'd also like to do one of the big river descents in Canada sometime. A week soloing around Knoydart for my birthday this October should be good fun I hope.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I did the week solo in Knoydart a few years ago. First full week out on my own. Cracking time but spent a lot of it sheltering under tarp, bothy or pub due to wind and rain. Heartily recommend Sour lies bothy. I had the best 2 days weather there. One short day getting there from that village with pub. Then a long, hard walk the next day. About 12 hours walking almost non- stop. I've done 50 mile walks in 16 hours but that had rests. That walk was harder. The Sour lies bothy has plenty of flat, dry land to pitch up on and very relaxed deer. They stroll past you at less than 2m away!!! You can nearly touch them.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try a bit of fishing too near there. Dodgy footbridge if coming from village.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh thats what I want to learn...angling. I have shot most types of gun that are legal in this country - and many that aren't now. I've snared, trapped, foraged, sailed solo, slept out for months, grown my own food, made my own soap. But I have never learned to properly use a fishing rod. Weird huh? I have no real interest in "catch and release", but angling for food appeals round here.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Canoe the upper Amazon where it is little more than a stream, watching the tropical fish and overnighting in a hammock. ( I have left out the rain, creepies, snakes and jaguars). I wonder how often the dream matches the reality. .

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Done fishing off a pier and even rocks too. Tried my dad's big rod off a beach. All when a kid. Did Skye a few years ago and went into a fishing shop for a Midge net. Saw cheap folding rod kit and tempted. Don't know enough but reckon a simple rod, weights and a float then just bait the hook and try to learn by doing it. Only interested in sea fishing from shore.
Record catch was 21 fish in 2-3 hours as a kid. Float fishing off a French pier using bought squid as bait. Fished until the bait was gone. Did get 32 fish once but only after getting them from a fish market as it was opening. Well, it was sooooo wet and the wind was so gusty that it would send the line whistling past my ear after the wind caught the line near the end of a cast. The weights 3 of them were the biggest we had and looked like WWII mines.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did the week solo in Knoydart a few years ago. First full week out on my own. Cracking time but spent a lot of it sheltering under tarp, bothy or pub due to wind and rain. Heartily recommend Sour lies bothy. I had the best 2 days weather there. One short day getting there from that village with pub. Then a long, hard walk the next day. About 12 hours walking almost non- stop. I've done 50 mile walks in 16 hours but that had rests. That walk was harder. The Sour lies bothy has plenty of flat, dry land to pitch up on and very relaxed deer. They stroll past you at less than 2m away!!! You can nearly touch them.

I figured Sourlies would be a good place to witness the rut this year :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
British Red, take up fly fishing i do coarse sea and game but game fishing with the fly is a lovely skill to learn especially when you can spend the winter nights tying the next killer fly its an art in itself...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red, take up fly fishing i do coarse sea and game but game fishing with the fly is a lovely skill to learn especially when you can spend the winter nights tying the next killer fly its an art in itself...

I'd enjoy trying it all to be honest - but I am woefully ignorant!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Yes Loch Nevis offers some good fishing. All caught using a cheap telescopic rod 8lb line and Bronze Minnow lures.
100_0744-Copy800x600_zps77d31a74.jpg

And then they were eaten.
nevis155640x480.jpg

As for what i want to do? where do i even begin!

Cheers Stuart.

so so many things I fancy.
canoe the voyaguers routes in Canada
snow shoe the same area
spend time in jungle.
visit sweden.

meet a variety of folk off this forum

a week minimal kit camp

intermediate Bushcraft course.
journeyman course
few expeditions.

teach my son the skills and passion for being outdoors.

hunt shoot butcher eat a deer then tan the skin and use all the resources.....

just a few....:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
so so many things I fancy.
canoe the voyaguers routes in Canada
snow shoe the same area
spend time in jungle.
visit sweden.

meet a variety of folk off this forum

a week minimal kit camp

intermediate Bushcraft course.
journeyman course
few expeditions.

teach my son the skills and passion for being outdoors.

hunt shoot butcher eat a deer then tan the skin and use all the resources.....

just a few....:)

What Sam said :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE