what do you use in your bcb cooker as fuel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Out of interest where did you get this info from?

Very good question and I can only reply that this is my personal experience from using it and from what I've picked up in conversation from the Defence staff who are involved in the procurement of the hexamine replacement - the main criteria being that the replacement must be as effective as hexamine (which is stable in storage and burns hot).

I have used the various gels available in the past and have been very unimpressed, that said, restaurant chafing gel is cheap and available and should not be overlooked if it works for someone.

I can only recommend that you try the Fire Dragon fuel, but I've found that the cheapest way is to buy in bulk (pack of 6 blocks x 10 packs for £26). If you want, PM your address to me and I will send a couple of blocks if you want to trial and post your finding here, may be useful to really see if there is a difference.

I certainly noticed a difference when compared to other gel fuels and the Zip fuel blocks; and I would buy Fire Dragon gel in preference to the blocks so that 'portion control' is easier.

I found Fire Dragon to be almost as fast as a broken-up hexi block - a broken hexi block will burn faster and hotter than an unbroken block. Probably around 5 mins for 500ml water, not very scientific I know :)

The Trangia fuel I prefer is this one http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fuel4-5l-bio-ethanol-spirit-p284704 and I prefer it to meths.

Really hoping that one of the stovies takes over now, as I really don't have a clue exactly what I'm talking about regarding stoves or fuel types! (only my personal experiences and preferences)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Ah, I've found the value on the BCB site - they say approx 29,000 kJ/kg for the fire dragon and pure ethanol is usually considered to be about 29,700 kJ/kg so there'll not be enough difference there to make it worth a test for me.

I think hexamine is 30,000 kJ/kg

Maybe the performance I've noticed is due to the upgraded Crusader cookset (anodised aluminium version) because the stove and cup are quite well protected from wind and the bottom of the cup is shaped to capture the heat?

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I think hexamine is 30,000 kJ/kg

Maybe the performance I've noticed is due to the upgraded Crusader cookset (anodised aluminium version) because the stove and cup are quite well protected from wind and the bottom of the cup is shaped to capture the heat?

It might be that, it is amazing that hexi is about the same energy value per weight as the chafing gel as I always had the view that it burnt hotter and longer even when you start with about the same weight. Clearly the stove is important as to the efficiency of the burn - the Coleman fuel I burn in my MSR makes a really useless fire that is good for nothing if you just pour it out into the Crusader and light it up. It is also very dirty. Of course in the MSR it is very hot and efficient.

Maybe hexi and the Dragon Fuel blocks just burn better in the Crusader stove, even though they have the same energy per mass. In other words it is nothing to do with the energy per mass but rather is related to the efficiency of the burn?

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I reckon yeah, I also notice this with a Trangia, the airflow created seems to maximise efficiency by both shielding the heat from the wind and directing it up the sides of the pot.

Likewise, the Caldera cone systems seem to be really efficient as well (although I've never actually tried one myself).

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks all, some really good advice facts and ideas to try here, one more question, what is your preferd cooking burner? crusader MK2 cooking system[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]? or BCB stainless steel cooker?
Thanks
Bill
[/FONT]

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
what is your preferd cooking burner?

The original steel Crusader cookset with a steel lid is relatively heavy, so for that reason alone I have opted for the Crusader 2 set.

I use one at work (when I will be supplied with hexamine only, so no point taking any other cookset) and I have other sets for my own trips, mainly so I can give the kids their own cookset and responsibility to heat up their own food and hot chocolate.

I also have Trangia 25 and 27 sets which I use with various different pots (the Zebra billy cans can be used with Trangia stoves).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE