What do you think of GPS units?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What are your views on GPS receivers?

• They are an essential piece of my kit

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • They are important for navigation

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • They are a handy backup

Votes: 80 40.8%
  • I have one but don't use it much

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I don't have one and I'm not bothered either way

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • I don't have one and I don't want one!

Votes: 19 9.7%

• Total voters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
GPS (and mobile phones) are mandatory items for many ultra-distance events now. Whilst this can often upset the purists, the organisers consider that if the technology is accessible/cheap and greatly improves the safety of entrants then it is entirely reasonable to insist on it being carried.

This is in contrast to when GPS units were actually forbidden in some events, such that it often led to disqualification if a team were observed using one!

Too bad mobile phones don't work unless there are cell towers near. You know, like in the real wilderness where real exploring is done?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
While I can see the benefits for wilderness situations etc, my big problem with them is the de-skilling aspect - people who have them in their cars and follow them blindly rather than learning to navigate properly. I bet there will be a huge proportion of the younger generation who grow up unable to read maps.

MAPS!? Heck they're growing up unable to read anything!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Utterly useless under dense or even partial canopy. There is a tendency to be overreliant on gadgets and gizmos, at the expense of real knowledge and understanding of basic navigation principles. A GPS is a valuable tool to reconcile your existing superb map, compass and ready reckoning skills, but not as a primary navigation system on its own. A GPS is useful to confirm your position as reckoned using traditional methods. That way you will know exactly how lost you are +/- 10m :)

Gadgets and gizmos. You mean like a map and compass?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I won a Satmap GPS in a competition and it is quite fun to take along to record the route.Also pretty good in poor visibility to offset that feeling that you aren't really where you should be!Having said that I think that the sd cards are ludicrously expensive!Over £100 for SE France,£200 for Switzerland,£200 for UK.Total madness so can't see me buying any cards in a hurry.The onboard Li ion battery lasts for ever on a charge ; over 12 hours every time and more if it is turned off when I'm not using it to navigate.Still carrying my map and compass and a backup compass too as I can't bring myself to truly trust the GPS!
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE