What do you sleep in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
i used to sleep (badly) in my day clothes until i read several threads on here about the sweat in your clothes freezing and cooling the body so i started changing into a clean norgie and linen trews for sleeping in and slept toasty everytime

edit: oh and about 60ft of dreads wrapped around me

never considered the dreads... tell me more? do they absorb all your heat or insulate? i might start mine now, i heard theres gonna be a cold winter in 2022

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
theyre dead warm keep me all toasty unless swmbo steals them in the night for warmth. i never wear a hat and never have a cold head through winter theyre pretty well insulating. by 2022 mine will be well past my ankles. just think of all that rope...

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
theyre dead warm keep me all toasty unless swmbo steals them in the night for warmth. i never wear a hat and never have a cold head through winter theyre pretty well insulating. by 2022 mine will be well past my ankles. just think of all that rope...

i guess they would have been toasty, do they self clean? i heard thats what hair does if you dont wash em.. cheers

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I like to kip 'tackle out' whenever possible. If it's cold and I'm mountaineering I'll wear dry thermals inside a down filled bag. If I'm bushcrafting I'll have my Buffalo pile bag and I'll get in wearing my wet clothes which will dry in short order.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I try to choose a gonk bag appropriate to conditions I'm likely to experience. Then I try to ensure I have as little as possible - maybe just shreds, normally. In any event, I always change into dry kit. The idea of sleeping wet and getting out damp doesn't appeal to me. No one likes the putting on of damp kit in the morning, but at least you've slept well and dry. In fairness though I've never done really cold. Up a Romanian mountain in a hammock in two feet of snow was the most severe, and I had an arctic gonk bag to hand so was still toasty. Even in Sweden where we got absolutely soaked, we put up a tarp and washing line, built a fire and sat by it whilst it dried our kit. Great memories.

rg598

Native
Unless my clothes are damp, I sleep in everything but waterproofs and boots year round. It means I can use a less warm sleeping bag and I use the clothes that I have to their full benefit.

Even in the winter, I'll often lie in my underquilted hammock fully clothed and in a down jacket, fall asleep and wake up in the morning having not had to even use my quilt or sleeping bag.

Not for everybody, but it works for me. I sleep very warm compared to most.

For my 2 weeks in the arctic this winter, I'll be sleeping in a vapour barrier suit and thermals.

Same thing here. I usually wear most if not all of my clothing if not wet. That way I can use a lighter sleeping bag. In temperatures below 20F (-7C) I will use a VPL, in which case I sleep in base layers with the outer jacket (down) over the sleeping bag. I use a ground system instead of a hammock, but I use the exact same approach.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I only camp during the fall/winter/spring. I wear a set of Helly Hansen Lifa baselayers. I always bring a set, that i only use for sleeping. Its essential that my clothes be dry, when i crawl into the bag.

If its cold, ie. around freezing, i wear some wool socks and a beanie. If its real cold, ill throw on my 200 gram wool balaclava.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE