what do you recommend?

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
for years I have been using an army issued roll mat to sleep on. For over a year iv been swinging in my hammock and the matt has been living in the shed since.
last nite I got the mat out again and realised its chucky to carry and enoying to unroll, there must be a better system than that?
so I want to get myself an self inflatable mat, something that will pack down small but
gives me good insulation from the ground also i would like to be able to use it in my hammock.
is there anything you guys can recommend me to look at getting.
thanx in advance
mb

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Exped downmat 7 Pump was recommended in another thread - not cheap, though.

Have you considered getting a decent long Thermarest for the ground & a lightweight UQ for the hammock?

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thanx for the link guys,
are bothe of these really good then as i dont like having a cold backside.
@spandit, is themarest the brand im googling?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
@spandit, is themarest the brand im googling?

I might be wrong but I think Thermarest were the original self-inflating mat (you mistyped the name, but Google would pick that up) - I think now it's one of these brand names that's used as a generic term, like Hoover, Google, Coke & Sellotape, to name but 4!

Edit: apparently it's "Therm-a-rest"

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I might be wrong but I think Thermarest were the original self-inflating mat (you mistyped the name, but Google would pick that up) - I think now it's one of these brand names that's used as a generic term, like Hoover, Google, Coke & Sellotape, to name but 4!

Edit: apparently it's "Therm-a-rest"

cool thanks mate, im watching a few on the bay that look ok, the military one looks good, have to say im very temped :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The really comfortable inflatables tend to be quite tall, sticking them in a hammock means it makes them quite tippy, nothing to worry about but one to remember when you're getting in :)

For ground dwelling I use either a Thermarest NeoAir short or a PO Elite AC short, both packing down to the size of a can of beer and weighing in around 300g. For hammocking I prefer a proper underquilt, either a full length or 2/3 depending on the season and temps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE