What do you do after dark ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Go for a walk.

There is a whole parallel ecology and landscape that 99% of people never get to see - a magical, monochrome world that all the masses who prefer X factor to nature will never experience - they will be tucked up with their idiot boxes as you watch the flittermice fly, the owls float and the moon cast shadows. My favourite time of the day is night.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Usually a nice lonely walk. More a lone wolf tbh in the wilds. Said elsewhere but imho you cannot beat a moonlight walk. Great for the imagination as well, lol.

Also like to fire watch ( def a throw back thing that ) . No electronics , period. I only carry a mobile that is always switched off. Just there if I really need it.

Spend some time maybe doing craft stuff.

Def' my time on my own, selfish? Maybe. Fulfilling? Def'

Pete

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Go for a walk.

There is a whole parallel ecology and landscape that 99% of people never get to see - a magical, monochrome world that all the masses who prefer X factor to nature will never experience - they will be tucked up with their idiot boxes as you watch the flittermice fly, the owls float and the moon cast shadows. My favourite time of the day is night.

I agree walking the same woodland is a completely different experience at night. Theres something quite pleasurable walking it without any artificial light either. Thats why I never bother with a torch anymore, it kind of ruins the experience.

Tonight for the briefest moment I caught a glimpse of an owl, it disappeared, then the magpies kicked in with avengance.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The part I enjoy the most about camping in winter is that it gets dark at a reasonable hour. Starry nights, huddling round the camp fire, the sound of the rain, moon light on the snow there is so much to enjoy.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Go for a walk.

This was a great little read, British Red and very true, too. There's nothing scary about night in the woods. I particularly enjoyed that last sentence. Clever.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do the same when its dark as I would do when it's light with the exception of canoeing and chopping with the axe. Apart from that much the same :).

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
If I'm out for the night, means I have probably tabbed a few klicks with the hound, so its night routine, I am not a fire starter, so gas stove dinner, brew, dog fed and sleep, up the crack of dawn, carry on. But, I work nights and have a problem sleeping so usually get home just after midnight, so instead of disturbing the family with me bashing around the house, hound and I end up on the Downs. Its superb, no one is around but the place seems alive, obviously nightwalkers are out, foxes and badgers but it seems everything else is preparing itself for the next day. I always stop for a brew (gas cooker) and this time its so quite I can hear the traffic in the distance, but my immediate surroundings is silent.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OOH! It has to be fire, bigger than necessary! (SORRY) with some of the amazing people i have met from this forum, at a meet in a woods on Dartmoor, just pleasantly merry, holding court! Listening to them laugh at my rubbish, tears rolling down cheeks of grown men, then someone suggesting a midnight snack, getting that on the go, devouring it in silence, then going to sleep content.

Don't like the next morning sometimes!!

Ivan...

To sit in front of a wood fire in western Queensland, or the north of South Australia, in winter with a billy of tea, and study the sky with its billions of stars and the misty display of the Milky Way, is to me, only one step away from heaven. Unfortunately, the last couple of years medical probs have prevented me from getting out there, but hopefully that's all over and I can concentrate on completing my series 2a rebuild, then it will be a case of look out here I come.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
for me at night its sit by the fire and play my chanter its the only time i get real piece to do it with out being interupted also if its a canoe trip on one of the lochs i like to go for a wee moonlit paddle nothing more amazing than a scottish loch with a bright moon

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
for me at night its sit by the fire and play my chanter its the only time i get real piece to do it with out being interupted also if its a canoe trip on one of the lochs i like to go for a wee moonlit paddle nothing more amazing than a scottish loch with a bright moon

Don't forget to bring it to the meets

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when im with a big group i normally take the forge kit, passes the time very well and 1 or 2 lucky people go home with a forged blade, that or the fire, and laying in bed with a brew listening to the animals if im on my own....:)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When in a groups sit around the fire chatting. When on my own I just listen to the beasties and get an early night followed by an early morning, the best time to watch nature at work.

Jan 3, 2010
n. america
well I don't winter camp anymore but I like to get out for the late fall hunt. I usually light at least 6 coleman lanterns and a few wickies, start a huge fire to poke at ,sip whiskey, and think about all the good times I have had in my life. oh yea, I'm not scared of the dark, just scared of the bears! I'm not kidding, been in the Yukon for 40 years. cheers jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE