What do u guys think about this pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
I would say don't buy it.

It looks like a cheap copy of the British PLCE bergan, but in German camo. There are a couple of nice features 'borrowed' from other manufacturers (integral rain cover, and reinforced bits on the side pouches), but the whole thing just looks dodgy to me. Am also suspicious that it doesn't say who the manufacturer is.

If you're gagging for a Brit PLCE bergan, you can get one cheap from here , might be worth emailing them to see if they'll ship to the US. I have no connection to that shop, but have had good service from them in the past.

If I had $100 to spend on a new pack, I'd have a look at a Kelty external frame ruck, or something cheap and cheerful from Cabela's like this .

Let us know how you get on :)

P

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Noronna make some quality gear, but their really expensive and you have to order from abroad. Scottish mountain gear were good, but there so hard to find.

Its best you find the dealer and actually go in the shop and try it out. Its gotta be comftorble after all.

If your buying a large bag for heavy weights aswel, try to get an external pack frame. The internal alu' ones are lighter, but less comftorble and sweatty.

Just some minor advice.

J.A. Sharp.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Cheap rip off....buy brit.....easier t' send it back ifin it's naught fer ye......(got mine from baileys..army/navy stores...plce always fer me.....got loads o' gear t' carry....lol)

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hey Caboose117 :the rucksack is in used /good condition..safe bet is that yes its a real brit. o.d. plce rucksack....it also looks like the side pouches are missing from the ruck....you pay your money you take your chance....vince g . 11b inf.

leon-1

It looks good, but as the man said no side pouches. for side pouches try giving Endicotts a telephone call. Kev is a really good guy and the service is good as well. Infact if you give them a call you could ask about the whole thing :D. If he says it is the real deal it will be so that will cut out any uncertanty

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I really agree with the others. Get a genuine article, you will not be sorry. I recall my very early days of backpacking, I bought a "looks like the real thing" pack and I loaded it up with all the gear I had and took off. It is a good thing I was young and dumb! I was able to manage the trip but I sure remember being miserable and the pack was very uncomfortable and not very sturdy. It pretty much was done after one trip.
I learn as I go, still learn all the time. One thing I learned from that first long pack trip was that just saving a few dollars was not worth the effort. I paid more than if I had bought a proper rucksack. I had to replace the pack after that trip and I was out the money for the first junky one also. A good pack can last many years, or even a lifetime. The important factors are, is is comfortable? Can it carry all the things you need? Does it fit? Fit and comfort are real important criteria. For instance, I do not fit the US Army ALICE pack, not even close. It pinches nerves in my back that make my legs go numb. I had to endure an ALICE for years in the army and would not recommend that pack to anyone over 5ft 10in tall, that seems to be about the tallest person it will fit properly.
If you can't afford a proper pack, save more money and wait, if possible. You will be glad you waited and got a proper, quailty pack. Just my recommendation. Cheers!

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
personally speaking, if you are going a really long way i wouldn't reccommend the PLCE bergans, especially if its a shortback rather than a longback, as they come in two sizes. the straps are too thin and the shortback is so short i can't fasten the hipstrap round my hips-ends up on my waist. they are designed to sit on webbing i reckon. on the good side though they're not to high so you're not constantly walking into low branches. its a bit pricey, but for trekking i like the Lowe alpine appalachian.(prob spelt that wrong!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE