What did you use your edc knife for today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
As an everyday carrier of an sak on my quick release chain ring I have been known to take some flack from non carriers. The typical argument against carrying an sak or equivalent for everyday use is 'you just don't need it'.

So.... today I used my sak to:

1 - losses the brake handles on my two girls bikes as they were too stiff to use properly, while we were out and had no access to the tool kit.
2 - cut down the stalks from some veggies in the garden which were threatening to self seed when I had nothing else to hand.
3 - tighten the screw on a handle on a kitchen cupboard

What did you use your edc for today?

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
been using my SAK huntsman for a leatherwork commission this morning. scissors are great for snipping threads and trimming thin leather. the reamer is good for boring quick holes and the tweezers are very handy for knotting threads or unpicking. i also use the red plastic scales to burnish edges now and then works a treat

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Little opinel in my pocket today :)
Split up some fomes (the wee round soft ball start of a new one, all amadou) into slices.
Scraped and tidied up some birch bark.
Chopped my apple and pear.
Cut the twine I used to tie a fat block onto the bird feeder, split open packets of bird food.

cheers,
Toddy

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Was out fishing today so it was used for trimming line cutting bait.
Slicing some fruit and opening some packaging for my daughter.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Svord peasant on kitchen duties today.
Opening packs, slicing onions,banana,pears etc.

sak is always in use for stuff other than cutting,like tightening screws etc.
Even came to the rescue of an off road biker the other week on an isolated forest road.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I've recently switched to a British Army Knife so I've been putting it through its paces. I've already made a brazier for the garden using the tin opener and marlin spike. The old fashioned tin opener on these things is fearsome. It'll make short work of oil drums, corrugated iron, and cars. It doesn't half make a mess of food tins though. Today it's been mostly try sticks, as I've been testing out the cut techniques I can use with this knife. I've also added a braided lanyard today, just so I'll always have some cord with me when I put my knife in my pocket.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
1; taking a slice out of my little finger whilst cutting up some ham for lunch
2; swearing at a lot

stuart

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Spyderco Grasshopper at work.

I opened 3 paint tins with the back.
Cut my bread rolls open.
Tried to prize a huge splinter out of my thumbnail but gave up and used a sharpened nail.
Cut some lining paper

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
A busy day of gardening... so adjustments to and cleaning of mower, chopping off a few stray shoots, cleaning under nails when done... then some air rifle target practice so used for scope adjustments. Handy things.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Doug Ritter RSK 1

Peeling and splitting some apples for my daughter (in the park). Making some fine cuts on small bits of felt (on the kitchen table).

So I probably didn't need it for the second task as there are lots of sharp knifes in my kitchen. :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
'Lannyson' foldin bushblade today. Whittled a mushroom knife for inspection, couple of small fuzzsticks for making a brew, and a rough oak spoon at a mates in exchange for a beer :thumbup:
4e9745d8-1859-c891.jpg

4e9745d8-188c-b0aa.jpg

4e9745d8-18bf-8948.jpg

4e9745d8-18ed-eb2b.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Used my spyderco honeybee to open a packet of peanuts in work to feed the birds (there's a feeder on the windowsill next to my desk).

Packet opening is mainly what it is for, although this week it was used several times to trim foraged St George's mushrooms, as work is my main collecting site for those. Freaks the office girls out to find a plateload of foraged fungi in the fridge too :D

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Used my spyderco honeybee to open a packet of peanuts in work to feed the birds (there's a feeder on the windowsill next to my desk).

Packet opening is mainly what it is for, although this week it was used several times to trim foraged St George's mushrooms, as work is my main collecting site for those. Freaks the office girls out to find a plateload of foraged fungi in the fridge too :D

:D:D:D:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
*sigh* .... you bushcrafters and your abbreviations, SAK?

Been using my EDC (Do I look cool now? ;O) for whittling a spiral I've been working on, trimming up a piece of Alder for carving a wood spirit out of (damn that stuff's fluffy for carving detail in!), trimmed some paracord, peeled and cut up an apple.... I was also tapping it to the beat, yo. But when I mention my EDC is a Leatherman Wave, I'm sure I'll lose my abbreviation bonus points.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Case Peanut, yellow, CV blade.
Trimmed some gorse that was starting to block a path in the woods.
Same with some honey suckle.
Opened a tub of salmon pate.
Opened chilli crackers packet to have with pate.
Trimmed some threads of a couple off shirts whilst ironing.
Opened a packet of oatmeal.
Cut off the foil on the top of a nice bottle of Spanish rose.
Practised opening it one handed, twice (lol)
Opened a packet of Simmers Butter Biscuits.
Cut the plastic off some RAM for a computer upgrade homer.
Cut some paracord for a knife re-furb (Swedish EKA promo knife, found in an old tool box, now like new).
Removed splinter.

You could say it gets used a lot....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE