what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Metala Cabinet

Definitely better than the last two episodes but it did seem a bit slow/padded but maybe that's not such a bad thing in our 'five minute culture' and soundbite obsessed age. I wouldn't say I personally enjoyed it but I could see its merits.
However as I've said before everyone has the right to say if they dislike or like a programme. If we all just sat back and accepted what we were shown we'd still be in the era of Muffin the Mule and the Black & White Minstrel Show on TV. To turn the argument around that if we don't like a programme we should shut up and watch something else, then if people don't like reading other peoples 'moaning' they shouldn't read our 'moans' (I thought it was justifiable criticism) but should shut up and read something else instead.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Bear in mind this is a forum where people can air their views, people still watch enjoy and respect mr M's show,we all like them in one way or another. I for one am very interested in peoples views on the show now, so keep your "points of view" :shock: coming say what you think and feel even if it may sound like moaning, after all thats what a review is all about, you never know some one may be watching and taking notes! :shock:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I really enjoyed the first program and the skills it demonstrated, I was disappointed by the style of the following program as I had expected it to have the same sort of information on bushcraft as the first.

but once I realized that the series was not intended to teach bushcraft techniques, but to show the people who use these techniques around the world as part of there every day existence, then I started to watch the scenery and the people rather than waiting for the next demonstration of an interesting firelighting technique or cordage material and I enjoyed it.

whilst I have to admit that i would prefer a program that not only gave an insight into those around the world that live bushcraft but also gave detailed information of their techniques so that i may learn from them

I certainly can not criticize this program because it does not meet my exact wishes (after all my wishes certainly aren’t that of the general publics) and it is enjoyable viewing

there are many things about this program that I think are improvements over his others, Ray taking less of the 'expert' stance and we see his mistakes and the logistics of filming in these conditions are not hidden, this makes ray far more human to the viewer.

In short I have nothing to complain about, and even if I did what gives me the right to criticize this program, am I a producer with an intimate knowledge of the production of TV programs and the interests of the general public…….. NO

If I did not enjoy it I would turn off my TV instead of rushing home to watch it

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I must admit there was a lack of technical information but on the whole I did enjoy it. We can all be armchair producers but then if the show was specifically for me there would still be critisism from others and vica verca, the best he can do is appeal to the majority of viewers.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I found this one to be a little poorer than the others so far, if only because he dwelt so much on the past visit and reaquainting himself with the people he met then. Also, after having a segment about Ray visiting the Masai, to be told that next week he's visiting the Masai tribe smacked of a little duplication of viewing...

One thing that does strike me (apart from a chicken eating hamster on the noggin) is that in the 2 south American programmes Ray visited 2 tribes with differing sets of skills, and where the modern world has had a differing degree of impact upon them. There seemed to be a simelar feel to this one with the two african tribes with two differing skill sets.

I can confirm that choccy banannas with alchahol is lurverly, though!

J

Jamie

Lurch said:
I'm really sick of the moaning about the show, it's just TV and therefore entertainment. I reckon it's good entertainment. If you want to learn Bushcraft the Ray way, book a blimmin course and pack in the whinging.

There is always 2 sides to any story Lurch and, just as you are able to, others are able to put their opinions here....Just because someone doesnt like something that you do like, doesnt mean they arent equally at liberty of airing their view....

By the same token, you are perfectly at liberty not to read the posts on this thread if you dont like what you read.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K this thread seems to be turning into a bit of a slanging match, against RM. Could we keep it constructive please, bare in mind that everyones views are different and that at the moment those of us that practice bushcraft are in the minority, the TV show has to appeal the MAJORITY.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Critisism isn't a slanging match.

And in so far as it goes, it's not a bad show. But IMO no closer to the activities that are regularly discussed on here than anything from Attenborough, Palin or indeed Titchmarsh.

I see remarkably few posts on the activities of tribal people beyond fairly detailed descriptions of the techniques that they use, the one aspect that is notably lacking from the current series.

The only complaint is that it is lacking in any practical content, if that's what's necessary to make it appeal to the majority.. okay. A lot of people like Eastenders, I don't and would be likely to critise it too if there was a debate running on it here.

I'm simply disinclined to praise, or even refrain from critising something simply because a particular individual has attatched their name to it.

I find it unremarkable, and unrelated to the topic which name it carries, as a contributor to this forum and a licence payer I feel perfectly justified in saying so.

YMMV

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Ah David Attenborough, if I had to pick a TV hero it would be him
I have never watched one of his programs without being totally fascinated all the way though :notworthy

in fact I would go so far as to say that his programs are the best TV i have ever watched

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
As both Jamie, GP and others have pointed out we are all free to voice our opinions, that is what a forum and a debate is all about. If we weren't this forum would be biased and as such many members would wisely move on.

Those accusing people of 'slanging' down Ray Mears should also consider several things,

1. Only he decided to put his name to the series which as pointed out isn't really about Bushcraft.
2. As a sort of figure head of the hobby he is doubly in the position for crititism and if he finds this harsh he is free to air his views on here like anybody else.
3. Regardless of our crititism I am sure his bank account is swelling nicely.
4. As license payers we are all allowed to at least expect a certain level of quality from the programmes we watch on BBC - You wouldn't expect to watch a FOOTBALL match with no football being played, so why should we be expected to watch a bushcraft programme with no bushcraft? Arguments about having the right not to watch it are frankly weak and unconstructive.
5. Even the odd glimpse of skills are only regurgitated skills we have all seen before.
6. As with all things where quality suffers if you don't complain the quality will only get worse.
7. As the BBC doesn't run advertising I am rather surprised they let several of his blatant plugs pertaining to the quality of his kit slip by.

BEARING ALL THAT IN MIND I think it is safe to say no one is actually slagging down Ray Mears, all the crititism raised isn't personal, it is purely directed at the content of the programmes he has produced and to my mind at least has been very constructive, however as pointed out above is he who has put his name to it and as such the responsibility squarely falls on his shoulders.

It is (to us) a high profile programme and as such we bushcrafters can only be expected to view and comment on it one way or another.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
7. As the BBC doesn't run advertising I am rather surprised they let several of his blatant plugs pertaining to the quality of his kit slip by.

I have been watching the programs closley and i have not seen anything which my mind was an advertisment of his equipment, did i miss somthing?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great Pebble said:
Oh Muffin The Mule..... Bring it Back......

Solid, quality entertainment and as much Bushcraft content as the current offering from RM.
'Muffin the Mule' is not a criminal offence !!

Saw that on a badge once. It did make I laaf !! :rolmao:

I have enjoyed all the programmes so far, to varying degrees but the first one and last nights were the better of the 4 shown till now.
Yep I agree that everyone has a right to their opinion and those opinions are welcome even if they may not reflect others.
Personally I couldn't care less what Knife, Jacket, Hat, toilet paper Ray is using, but rather what he's learning from the natives or himself demonstrating using them (not so much the toilet paper however) I'm Intersted in the BUSHCRAFT not the kit. But that's me, and each to thier own.
Some are criticising Ray, but ask yourselves honestly would you have the interest in Bushcraft you have now if it wern't for Ray's original programmes such as Tracks, World of Survival etc. Maybe you would, but maybe you would be calling it Survival. I like the guy, and I like learning from him and admire his knowledge, and I don't care what jacket he has on while he's teaching it.
That's my view and I'm sticking to it :wave:

J

Jamie

Ok...I have a feeling that this is oft going of course from the original post.

The original post was "what did everyone think then?"

Lets keep that in mind please - this is not to say that you can't be negative or positive about the program, the original post is after all a question inviting both sides of the coin.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Jamie said:
There is always 2 sides to any story Lurch and, just as you are able to, others are able to put their opinions here....Just because someone doesnt like something that you do like, doesnt mean they arent equally at liberty of airing their view....

By the same token, you are perfectly at liberty not to read the posts on this thread if you dont like what you read.

Yeah, I expected this response.

It just saddens me (if that's the right phrase) that people are complaining because it wasn't what they wanted it to be and yet still watch it - almost to have something to complain about. Seems a bit masochistic :yikes:

I go back to my point, it's good telly - chill out :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Well said Lurch.. Its just tough luck if it doesn't fit everyones criteria for what a bushcraft program should be.. its interesting viewing, and you really only have to listen to ray for a few seconds to know he is passionate about his subject.. and he gets big respect from me for that!!

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
boaty said:
Either way, little else happens chez boaty while the programme is on - the older kids (8 & 10) love the show and manage not to chatter all the way through: not even Coronation Street achieves that!!

Sparking an interest in Bushcraft by people who would not necessarily be exposed to it, this is the true value of RM shows for me - and it does it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE