What could possibly go wrong?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Chainsaws, scary as hell! Bet you had some choice words with him... After he had put it down obviously! I know plenty of people who can't count to ten on their hands nowadays! Having less than the average number of heads is a tad more serious though!

I still have a very bad problem from15 years working in a factory. Although we always wore PPE including ear defenders, some rather bone idle FLT drivers would drop 3tonne flat steel plate from considerable heights onto the concrete floor or other metal plates.

When you have your back turned, working in an electrical panel while hot testing on million pound equipment loud bangs are a tad unwelcome. You adapt to this quite quickly... I now have a completely suppressed startle reflex... Nothing, I swear nothing, makes me jump any more! This can be damn scary in itself I can tell you!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
chainsaws are indeed scary in the hands of unqualified people- not the only incident i experienced... . i actually searched the web for accident pictures after the above-mentioned incident (which works better then words, especially considering language problems); likewise i showed one of my workmates here a picture i took last year of an accident i had (when i was tired and in a hurry(=BAD combination)) to explain that holding a piece of kindling with your hand and trying to split it with a hatchet is not a smart idea (fortunately my finger is still there and i only have a scar as a warning)...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You were lucky there Mike, that could've gone a lot worse for you.

The earlier post about people behind you with chainsaws reminded me about keeping safe distance.
We were taught good practice and to be working at least two tree heights apart.
I was cutting away in my rack, in a decent stand of Scots pine. Was mid afternoon and the day was going well. I checked the tree for widowmakers, decided where I'd drop it, looked around to see it was safe and put the mouth cut in. Standing up I had another look around, still all safe so I bent down to do my felling cut. Saw bit in and worked it's way in. Just coming to the hinge when I took a final look where the tree was going to fall. I could see an orange chainsaw helmet on top of the head of one of the other cutters right in line with the path of the tree.
The pine starts forward on it's path down. I look up then back at the figure... It's going to hit him. What to do in that speeded up yet slowed down few seconds that a tree takes to fall? Shout? Nah, his saw is going and his ear defenders are down. Run towards him? Never make it in time and that would be endangering two folk, safest place to be is by the stump. So saw off and wait for it to drop then deal with the fallout. Tree goes down where I'd aimed for before the silly chap moved into my rack to poach a couple of big trees. Hits him smack on the top of the helmet and the ear defenders snap and shoot off in opposite directions into the woods. Soon as the tree is safely stopped I run up to find an out cold mate sans cracked helmet. He was only out for a couple of seconds but felt very stupid for breaking the safety distances, he was lucky that only the tip hit him as it could've easliy killed him. For months afterwards folk used to sneak up behind him and swish branches down at him to wind him up.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Almost managed one myself tonight. Used some superglue, and then rubbed my eye. Sudden burning sensation in the eye, and a fast dive into the bathroon to rinse water through my eye. No harm done.

I hadn't realised that I had any glue on my fingers, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Almost managed one myself tonight. Used some superglue, and then rubbed my eye. Sudden burning sensation in the eye, and a fast dive into the bathroon to rinse water through my eye. No harm done.

I hadn't realised that I had any glue on my fingers, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

Not good Mike, we'd have had to change your name from Opiliones to Polyphemus is that had gone wrong. Hope you're fine mate.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not good Mike, we'd have had to change your name from Opiliones to Polyphemus is that had gone wrong. Hope you're fine mate.

Yep, 100% fine. Was a nearly not an actual. Most of my incidents aree like that. I suddently 'come to', thinking "WHAT am I doing?!" and stop it just in time.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well at least you had plenty of anaesthetic and muscle relaxant in your system to deal with the pain!!.. Shame it always seems get to our brains first and cause the damn problem in the first place!!!
Unfortunately was sober as I'd stopped drinking around 2am, just stayed up, no sleep.

The sensation in my ankle when I hit ground was quite incredible - no pain, it was like a white flash explosion going off. For a min I couldn't bring myself to look at it, convinced I'd see nought but a bloody splintered stump.

Just about every ligament snapped, splinters of bone all through my foot. 25 years ago and sometimes it so painful I can't walk without a stick, and some days no pain or issues at all!

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Unfortunately was sober as I'd stopped drinking around 2am, just stayed up, no sleep.

The sensation in my ankle when I hit ground was quite incredible - no pain, it was like a white flash explosion going off. For a min I couldn't bring myself to look at it, convinced I'd see nought but a bloody splintered stump.

Just about every ligament snapped, splinters of bone all through my foot. 25 years ago and sometimes it so painful I can't walk without a stick, and some days no pain or issues at all!
Lots of my patients tell me that, nearly always link the painful days to the cold or damp weather, some even PREDICT the weather with it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I used to work for a plant hire company and we hired out access platforms (cherry pickers) and someone put one up next to a river bank to trim some trees, needless to say they boomed out over the river and the outriggers began to sink into the bank. The good thing with access platforms is that when they arent on a level gradiant they dont operate to stop them toppling over when you go up. the trouble is if it goes out of a level gradiant while you are up you cant operate it to come back down.... so they ended up precariously dangling over the river, of course itwas out of office hours so they couldnt call us so they called the fire brigade. The fire fighters decided the best form of rescue would be to put a ladder from the bank to the basket of the lift and shimmy along the ladder to save the operators. The trouble then began when they weight of the two operators the long ladder and the firefighter exceeded the capacity of the lift and it tipped giving them all a nice cold dip in the drink!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE