What could possibly go wrong?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The electricals are definitely not American nor Canadian. Import beer couldn't be evidence. Ignorance is one thing but you can't fix stupid.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
those 2 pictures are part of a massive set that went around the H&S circuit a few years ago. These pictures were not set ups, they were actual situations and someone passing took a picture. I think the worst one was a forklift truck had full height extension on his forks, holding up another forklift truck on 3/4 extension on forks. Those forks had a sheet of 8x4 on them. On the 8x4 was a stepladder with a guy on the top platform of that with either a drill or a grinder.
The scariest was 3 men holding another guys legs. He is upside down, out of a window trying to install what looked like an A/C unit to the outside of a building. You couldn't see the ground.
You could have told your boss to stick those jobs where sun don't shine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...internet-pictures-workers-ignoring-rules.html

Last edited:

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Yeah, I think I have them in an old backup of my old work folders, amongst many other photos of that time in my life in H+S. I'll see what I can dig out if anyone's interested, that is?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'll hold my hand up to doing something almost as daft.

I was welding new struts across an engine bay on a narrowboat. So obvious risks of kit falling in river (but it's all on rcd).

To start with I was standing on the steel as I welded - then standing in 4" of water in the bay - then it started raining - so I was standing in a water-filled metal container, arc welding, in the rain, with soaking wet clothes (even welding gauntless wet through). Started to get a buzz from steel if I touched it with my hands - obviously at higher potential than the water, my welly boots may have even made it worse as they stopped me from being 'earthed' to the same potential as the clamp electrode . . .

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I'll hold my hand up to doing something almost as daft.

I was welding new struts across an engine bay on a narrowboat. So obvious risks of kit falling in river (but it's all on rcd).

To start with I was standing on the steel as I welded - then standing in 4" of water in the bay - then it started raining - so I was standing in a water-filled metal container, arc welding, in the rain, with soaking wet clothes (even welding gauntless wet through). Started to get a buzz from steel if I touched it with my hands - obviously at higher potential than the water, my welly boots may have even made it worse as they stopped me from being 'earthed' to the same potential as the clamp electrode . . .
Add a suit of armour with a lightning rod strapped to your back and you would be fully kitted out mate!!!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Yeah, I think I have them in an old backup of my old work folders, amongst many other photos of that time in my life in H+S. I'll see what I can dig out if anyone's interested, that is?

More the merrier :D

I have one somewhere of the fellas who built a ladder on the back of a flatbed truck and when that wasn't tall enough, they balanced a stepladder on top of the ladder... that is a truly mental picture!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
This is my addition...

Crazy_Chinese_Holding_Ladder.jpg

But just for pure amazement to me it doesn't get much better than this...
[video=youtube;lV-iP1jSMlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-iP1jSMlI[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You know those Roadrunner cartoons where the Coyote sits on a branch while he's sawing through it?

Years back when I had a shiny new chainsaw licence I was to take off a large lower branch from a beech tree.
It was raining and slippy so I tied the ladder I was using to the branch that was needing lopped off. No I didn't start sawing between the ladder and the trunk, I'd thought that far ahead. So I started cutting the branch on the other side of the ladder, making sure that the compression wouldn't get the saw jammed. Almost through, almost through, through... And with the weight comming off of the stub of the branch the remainder shot up in the air and I'm left trying to hold onto a whirring Husqvarna with one hand and hold onto the swinging ladder with the other.
Lesson learnt... Not doing that again.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Ohhh alright then! Guilted into it! And seeing as I don't work in H+S anymore..

I was an apprentice in my first year of engineering college, all safely togged up for gas welding practice in the sheet metal workshop, overalls, goggles gauntlets, toe-tectors, extraction running, welding screens around me.

The metal joint clamped securely, gas pressure ok, correct nozzle on the torch, correct gauge of wire ready for welding.
Lit it up safely using the proper spring loaded flint, set the flame and started the run of the bead. Technically everything was perfect, even my usual dodgy weld run was looking good! I was very pleased with myself!

So pleased and smug in fact, that as the length of still white hot glowing welding wire started to slip down in my hand slightly, I didn't think twice (if at all!) when I automatically brought it up towards my chest... Instinctively using my body as a backstop on the tip of the wire to allow me to adjust my handhold, as you might with a harmless metal ruler or a not at all glowing hot marker pen.

But, as with any near-molten metal meeting cotton based fabric, it passed through effortlessly, as it did with my skin, fat and flesh underneath!

To almost exactly an inch in fact... I know this because I had a neatly cauterised hole in my abs which I then had to pull the still hot wire tip out of!

I still have the scar to prove it, its a highly impressive 3mm in diameter... I can't even pretend its a bullet wound!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
MrCharly & Ferret, both could've gone very wrong for you. Both lucky. Always amazes me some of the things we walk (sometimes crawl) away from. I have other stories but I'm trying to figure out the statute of limitations on some things first. :D
Enjoying the strories, always good to hear the story from the person that did it, that way you know they survived and you don't have to feel guilty about laughing.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Unfortunately I have far too many 'I'm stupid' stories... I'd fill the forum because from trying to open a sandwich bag with a power drill to climbing a ladder whilst carrying sheet material during the windiest day in a decade, I do stupid things.

One thats probably close to the most stupid... one weekend I decide to cut back some trees in the back garden. I spend all day hacking away and make a large pile of branches in the centre of the garden, and around evening meal time my wife tells me that she isn't happy with the mess I've made. She understandably wants it cleared up.

So I grab an old oil drum, light a fire and start to burn the cut branches. I underestimate how long this will take and as the light fades, I may or may not have grabbed a bottle of bourbon, a chair and sat by the fire... adding to it as the night goes on.

My eldest son, curious to what I'm upto comes outside, grabs a chair and sits with me. We start talking by the fire and everything was great... real father and son bonding... proper conversation and even better, those moments of silence where we sat staring at the fire. Could the evening get any better?

Just after midnight, I've cleared the pile and, sensibly, my son says its time to get some sleep. But nope, I remember I have a wooden wardrobe that I was going to take to the tip... it'll burn... save myself a job. After all, I'm having a great time. My son tells me he's going in as I drag a piece of wardrobe over and I decide to stamp on it to split it in two and make it easier to fit in the oil drum.

Moments later I'm rolling on the grass in pain, my lad is laughing at me thinking I'm messing around... I try to stand up and I hear cracking and experience extreme pain.

I shout to my son to run to my wife and tell her whats happened as I try to hop into the house. My wife was asleep and obviously not impressed to come through to me lying on the couch whinging... she removes my boot to find an ankle swollen to the size of a basket ball.

With no hint of irony I say "I'm not going to A&E now, its Saturday night, it'll be full of drunks" so my wife puts a blanket over me and gots back to bed... my son, still laughing, goes to bed.

Following day I go to A&E, discover I've not only shattered my ankle, I've divided my leg bones and to cut a long story short I ended up having an operation to screw my leg back together and still have metal plates in there to this day.

Needless to say I received little sympathy for the following 6 months of being in plaster, and quite rightly so.

One of the most stupid things I have ever done. Not only did I end up taking up hospital time, surgical time etc that could have helped someone else, but my poor wife had to run around like an idiot for 6 months because her husband was a stupid idiot. My ankle still gives me pain, but again quite rightly, there is a rule that I can not whinge... it will never be forgotten by my wife or my children that I inflicted a horrible injury on myself through a stupid decision, and my eldest will forever say "I told you we should have got some sleep Dad!"

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oooo Dewi that sounds a sore one. Probably made worse for you by the shrivilling gaze of wife and child.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Ouch Dewi!!!

Seen some horrific stuff working in industry and especially working in hospitals. Ignoring all the alcohol fuelled foolishness you see, most of us get so focused on the goal at hand we can't see anything else!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's usually the simple things that do us in - I have sympathy for my ankle, having had a (less worse) similar injury. That one was from falling off kern knotts crag after an all night drinking session.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Well at least you had plenty of anaesthetic and muscle relaxant in your system to deal with the pain!!.. Shame it always seems get to our brains first and cause the damn problem in the first place!!!

this thread reminds me of an incident i had last year on my previous workplace (carpentry workshop): i was the only guy there who was fond of his hearing (=read: the only one wearing ear muffs)- which means that i could not always pick up the exact distance to the next guy's tools... . one day i heard one of my workmates behind me with the chainsaw (carving a new tabletop)- after switching off my beltsander and turning around i realized he was standing literally half a meter behind me, the running chainsaw facing my way... . :yikes: if i had taken one step backwards or either of us tripped on something... well- i guess you get the picture.... (needless to say from this moment onwards i made very sure he was in front and far away from me when messing around with a chainsaw!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE