Cheshire
As per title... what could go wrong?

socket_pool.jpg

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Yeah, absolutely crazy.

With wet hands those guys could easily drop their bottles of beer in the pool, what a chance to take, fools.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Thats not far off becoming a centrally heated pool! They should patent that, particularly suitable to those people in the UK who usually get to use theirs every decade when the weather is hot enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Got to be a set-up, surely? You wouldn't last two minutes in there!

Don't understand the science of it, but apparently this was covered by Mythbusters.... they have a 50/50 chance. Unless one of them urinates in the pool... at which point if the plug submerges, they're dead.

It is real, the grill is on and its in Germany (hence the euro plug and the types of beer on the table)... the extension block is a 'weather-proof' one that will withstand splashes, but not being fully submerged... so flip flop flotation device is born.

Whatever the scenario... I wouldn't get in that pool... like Rory says, you might end up dropping a beer!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Have they performed a risk assessment do you think?

In theory, presuming a decent earth and proper wiring the RCD will pop and they won't die.

However on second look that appears to be a Schuko plug and extension, so they are in mainland Europe, if they are in Germany (unlikely because a German probably wouldn't be so dim) then they will probably still be ok, if they are somewhere like Hungary, they are all going to die.

:)

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire

In theory, presuming a decent earth and proper wiring the RCD will pop and they won't die.

However on second look that appears to be a Schuko plug and extension, so they are in mainland Europe, if they are in Germany (unlikely because a German probably wouldn't be so dim) then they will probably still be ok, if they are somewhere like Hungary, they are all going to die.

Risk assessment? Oh definitely, unfortunately AFTER the beers though... 💥💀

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I have to say my nuts rertracted slightly into my body cavity as i tried to take in the whole picture

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

I wouldn't be so sure about folks not being so dim.
A few years back the lift shaft in our shop flooded. I locked the lift off on the top floor and opened the ground floor doors. Water in the shaft. The water was covering some electrical sockets in the lower part of the shaft. Now I was sure I'd managed to kill the power to these sockets but as they were far down and on the rear wall I couldn't get near them with the tester. While pondering one of the staff walked past and I explained the problem. He said, "Just stand on the access ladder and reach across."
I looked at him, mouth slightly open and pointed out that the electrics were under water and the ladder which was in the water was made of aluminium.
He said that because aluminium was made by using electricity that it didn't conduct electricity. My mouth now further open I wondered if he hated me and wanted my job. He called two more staff over and they all agree'd with his reckoning. I really thought they were winding me up 'till one of them started forward saying he'd do it. I had to grab him before he grabbed the ladder. I couldn't believe that three chaps who were in or had been through further education would be so daft.
So as they say, never underestimate stupid.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Whatever next... Brass insulation tape, copper handled wirecutters? 🔌

We would frequently find home made electric cookers used by nightshift workers, consisting of a steel linbin storage box and a cooker ring element mounted inside it with self tappers. The plug would usually either have a blown 13amp fuse inside, wrapped in strangely heat discoloured tinfoil, or this was replaced by a piece of 6 inch nail or welding rod, because "the fuse kept blowing".... You don't say?!?!

The company had open kitchens on the shop floor with access to microwaves, kettles, snack machines and fridges.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
One of my Mums cousins who lives in Tasmania, died, when a radio fell into his bath.

That looks slightly more dangerous.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When I lived in Kent I met a chap who built greenwood barns. Wonderfull craftsman but slightly mad. As you had to work fast with greenwood in the summer heat so that joints wouldn't shrink before being put in place teabreaks and lunch were hurried afairs. His party piece was to stick metal forks into the ends of a sausage then attatch jumper cables to the forks which were wired into the mains. A quick flash, and sometimes the bangers would indeed go bang and you had a very quickly cooked sausage. Way quicker than the microwaves which were coming out at the time.
Nice guy, nuts, but a nice guy.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Nuts he may be, but being the inventor of the original 'sausage splash' should rate highly with most people, especially since its the staple diet of builders and electricians everywhere in the UK.

Last edited:

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I think Dewi did some CSI photo forensics earlier in the thread and determined it as Germany due to the beer on the table and type of supply socket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE