What corn for parched corn? (same as for popcorn)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I read several recipes for parched corn and I fail to understand if one should use
a/ "soft" corn you would normally buy in a can or bottle and put in a salad, but dry it first (in overn I guess)
b/ "hard" corn sold in plastic bag and used for pop corn

If b/, then the only difference with pop corn is less grease and less cooking?

P.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi,

I read several recipes for parched corn and I fail to understand if one should use
a/ "soft" corn you would normally buy in a can or bottle and put in a salad, but dry it first (in overn I guess)
b/ "hard" corn sold in plastic bag and used for pop corn

If b/, then the only difference with pop corn is less grease and less cooking?

P.
Parched corn is the stage between dried corn and popped corn. Imagine you are making popped corn, but as soon as the corn starts to swell, but before it pops, you take it off the heat, that's parched corn.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Sounds interesting. Back in Preston a popular dish is "parched peas". This is not at all similar by the sounds of it. No relevance, just both dishes use the same term - parched.

Parched peas are a dried dark brown pea a bit like a chick pea, but called Maple peas. They're soaked then boiled up and served with salt and vinegar.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Sounds interesting. Back in Preston a popular dish is "parched peas". This is not at all similar by the sounds of it. No relevance, just both dishes use the same term - parched.

Parched peas are a dried dark brown pea a bit like a chick pea, but called Maple peas. They're soaked then boiled up and served with salt and vinegar.

All though I'm in Chorley just down the road, I'm originally from Rochdale where what I guess you call Maple peas are called Black Peas. I believe the real name for them is Carlin Peas (http://www.countryproducts.co.uk/product.php?productid=16207&cat=254&page=1). Anyway - I have a pot full simmering at the mo!

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Popcorn is a specific kind of corn with a very thick seed coating. Other kinds won't pop.

Indians and pioneers parched flint corn, because that's what they had. It's mostly starch, so it tastes pretty bland.

Our modern sweet corn can also be parched, and it tastes much better. You can sometimes buy boxes of dried sweet corn (around here, Amish stores usually have it). We usually buy bags of frozen sweet corn kernels, then dry them in a dehydrator. When you parch them, they'll turn a little brown, swell a little, and pop just enough to break their seed coats.

Do not use popcorn seed it is not the right kind of corn for this project if you are able to get dent corn then your in business if not use frozen corn dry it and then process it to make your own here is a bit on it copied from my site...

Corn was the staple grain on the American frontier for pioneers and Indians alike, as it was (and is) relatively easy to grow, harvest, and process without machinery. There are four basic types: flour, dent, flint, and sweet. All may be dried on the cob, and may then be stored indefinitely. If you want to go modern, then just buy frozen whole kernel corn at the grocery store and dehydrate it.

Parching corn makes these hard kernels softer for your teeth and much more digestible. It’s a lightweight, high energy food that was carried by Indian warriors and hunters. It was also considered a treat by pioneer children. It can be eaten as is, or ground and added to soups and stews. You’ll be surprised at how it revitalizes you.

Heat a small amount of butter or lard or oil in a skillet on low. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel so that only a thin coat remains—just enough to prevent the corn from sticking. Pour in enough dry kernels to almost cover the bottom of the pan. Stir constantly to prevent burning. The kernels are done when they swell and turn light to medium brown and begin to pop. It takes from about one to five minutes. Dump the corn out onto a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any remaining oil or grease, then re-oil your skillet and do some more. Enough for a day will fit in a plastic bag in your pocket.

On your next outing, try traveling light. Jerky, pemmican, hardtack, and parched corn will keep you going all day, without utensils to clean, or trash to dispose of, or the need to stop and cook. For dinner, pemmican stewed with whatever greens or tubers you’ve foraged, thickened with parched corn and served with hardtack will give you a literal taste of days gone by.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I use pretty much the same method as S/Bill or put the kernels in the oven.
The corn I use is a variety called Bloody Butcher. Has red kernels.I grow about 10 rows in the back garden.
Nice thing about parched corn is you can eat it as is. Makes a good breakfast in the woods if you crush some up add jerky then boil with a little water.
Kind of like a meaty mush.Sounds terrible I know but quite tasty.
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE