What causes this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As per title really. What causes this in trees? Some sort of virus...fungi.....damage?

Whatever it is does it only affect certain trees?

Sorry about picture quality. Light wasn't great.
97f9ebb51bf84454df068e525e03a624.jpg
637da7017b8b24d9bdd79e2507f18640.jpg
98298da1a8cb47b79492df3498ba538a.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's common on Ash. I've got one or two like that on 25 year old trees but others around them are fine. That's not Ash die back (which looks different) it's pseudomonas syringae, bacterial ash canker (though there may be other bacteria/fungal infections that cause similar scars and growths).

Advice for woodland which is managed for timber is to remove it but when the wood is managed for bio-diversity and ecology, as mine is, it's left because it provides habitat.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Actually no; it can affect a number of trees including prunus varieties. Yes it is contagious but doesn't seem particularly aggressively so. It is not a notifiable disease either and there is no general advice to cut and burn. I have perfectly healthy ash all around infected ones and infected trees carry on maturing and live for quite some time. However, when badly affected they become structurally weakened so, if somewhere people walk, it is probably worth removing them.

Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is this what causes the wonderful 'spalting' in the grain of the timber ?

Possibly but in my experience it is very close to the surface and when it has penetrated any depth into the tree the fibres are very brittle and unusable. Having said that I am keen now to go out there and slice some up and polish it :) - I'll let you know how I get on!

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE