What car sat-nav?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I personally prefer the Garmin. I have nuvi 255 and 205 reasons for having 2 :)

My family bought a TomTom for my dad and its all right for general navigation.
TomTom are ok but even with their IQ route they use different and less accurate satalites than Garmin and they have something similar to IQ route in low models anyway.
The Garmin are the ones also that the military use.
On foot they are hard to beat and a small package so easy to carry around so it does not get stolen from your car and last several hours on a single charge for foot use.

But generally any of the major brands are ok. but once you get the features and extras you want thats what will make up your mind.

First off thanks for all of you guys that have made a post with your thoughts and valued experience goodjob

Having read through the post and had a look at both tomtom and Garmins websites it would appear that there are some features that I have on the Discovery3's sat nav that I take for granted.

The "live" traffic updates have saved me hours of traffic jams - mainly on the M25. A feature like this would be pretty essential and as I understand it this is either paid for by a subscription or in an inflated purchase price <?>.

European coverage is essential as is downloading map updates.

Not over fussed on whisltes and bells - although having Bluetooth built in for Blackberry phone integration would save me taking a sperate unit..............

TBH - still none the wiser LOL

Thanks once again,

TMKTC.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The best if you don't need the bells and whistles but you want the rest is easily the Garmin better quality and more reliable and more accurate.

It's why the army uses Garmin, at work we have about 100 hand-helds and 10 car units and we travell alot in hills and valleys and TomToms won't hold up in coverage test in those environments. Yes we did drive vehicles all over the place:)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've got a Tom Tom One (I use it with my Defender too). Inexpensive and it works as well in Europe as it does in the UK. A good tip is to review the proposed route against a map and if you don't like it, use the "navigate via" option.

I used a Garmin on a hire car in the US and didn't like the interface as much

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE