What can i make with hawthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Out my back garden I have 3 hawthorn trees and they are full off berries waiting to be picked, and they are very big, almost abnormal looking, what can I make with them, that is easy?

Thanks!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hawthorn fruit leather, just take them of the bush squash them up with your hands in a dowl, (you might need to add a little water), skin of the pips then allow to harden into a jelly in the bowl.

cut into slices and dry very slowly in the oven or over the fire, jobs a fish...

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Hawthorn fruit leather, just take them of the bush squash them up with your hands in a dowl, (you might need to add a little water), skin of the pips then allow to harden into a jelly in the bowl.

cut into slices and dry very slowly in the oven or over the fire, jobs a fish...

How do I separate the stones/pips from the jelly?

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
I have just finished making Crab apple and Haw fruit leather, it was really simple and a great trail snack. Just put 500g of haws and 500g chopped crab apples into a saucepan. Add 100ml of water and stew for 20mins (add more water if necessary). then push the mixture through a fine sieve, into a saucepan. Now add 150g of sugar, warm and stir until the sugar dissolves. then pour it onto a baking tray and put in a low oven (50C-60C) for about 14 hours. It should be very leathery and will last quite a while.

Ross

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE