What can I hunt with a shotgun in England?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I'm applying for a shotgun certificate at the moment.
I have permission on a couple of nearby farms to shoot rabbits.
I was wondering what else you are allowed to shoot with shotguns, when/where you're allowed to shoot it etc.
I'm keen to get as much advice from people as I can, as I'm totally new to all this.
Many thanks,
Will

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Assuming its a section 2 shotgun (not on a firearms certificate but held on shotgun certificate), you can shoot game birds in the game season and vermin mammals (rats, rabbits etc.).

Under certain circumstances you can also shoot birds on the "general licence".

The law is that all birds are protected and may not be hunted. However a few species (e.g. pigeons, crows) may be hunted if they are causing significant crop damage, are hazardous to human health, or for a few other reasons - provided they are hunted by the landowner or his appointed agent. Food is not a good reason to hunt birds other than wild fowl and game birds.

Join BASC (you will obviously need insurance which you get by joining) and their pages will teach you what you need to know.

I'm applying for a shotgun certificate at the moment.
I have permission on a couple of nearby farms to shoot rabbits.
I was wondering what else you are allowed to shoot with shotguns, when/where you're allowed to shoot it etc.
I'm keen to get as much advice from people as I can, as I'm totally new to all this.
Many thanks,
Will

if your in Dorset as you say you have plenty of time to work it all out as they are on 6mths turn around at the moment my SGC and FAC when in Beginning of Sept they where just starting the July pile

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
if your in Dorset as you say you have plenty of time to work it all out as they are on 6mths turn around at the moment my SGC and FAC when in Beginning of Sept they where just starting the July pile
Dammit, I was annoyed when I heard it was 3-4 months!
6 months is a long time!

Much obliged British Red - I've been looking at the BASC website. May well join if I ever get the certificate!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Only where wildfowl are concerned. There is a big move towards everything becoming lead free but it's currently being resisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit, I was annoyed when I heard it was 3-4 months!
6 months is a long time!

Much obliged British Red - I've been looking at the BASC website. May well join if I ever get the certificate!

well its better I was told at least 18mths bout 2 yrs back just after the Olympics (Policing the Olympics was the blame)

They are to busy now doing unannounced checks on FAC holders to make sure they have em locked up safe

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/ex...al-gun-owners-begin-40860#bLGmQqTRfJLFbIr1.99

was on local News at 10 as a warning that they are looking obviously the film was of a pile of non FAC airguns

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE