What birch bark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, I can now admit i'm a little confused... Birch bark, it's great etc etc...

Does it matter what birch tree it comes from? is silver birch as good as any other? what's the useful one? why wasn't this explained before? and how comes I have 5 odd socks when 6 matching ones went into the wash?

K

karen

Well, i know that you can use the inside of the birch (any) for tinder and I know that you can get a purple dye from the the harder outside of the bark. I'm sure someone here will have a little more info for you on that.

In fact, i think i may even go and have a bit of a read up, i'll let you know if i find anything interesting. :)

Kar

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Silver birch is the one to go for. Paper birch bark is fine as tinder or for making birch tar but it's too thin and weak for making containers out of.
Find a fallen tree to strip - managing to get the white bark off without damaging the cambium underneath isn't that easy first time round.

Realgar

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Dragging this from memory - you need the hard dark rough bark from the older parts of the tree. It needs to be broken up and boiled and really needs a mordant to stick well.

I think it behaves much the same as logwood in which case the colour is highly pH dependent and the purple requires the presence of alum to fix.

Pretty much all my birch bark goes into tar production.

Realgar

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Realgar said:
Dragging this from memory - you need the hard dark rough bark from the older parts of the tree. It needs to be broken up and boiled and really needs a mordant to stick well.

I think it behaves much the same as logwood in which case the colour is highly pH dependent and the purple requires the presence of alum to fix.

Pretty much all my birch bark goes into tar production.

Realgar

Ok. Isn't the Alum the mordant though or do you need Alum plus a different one? Do you just mean that Alum will give the purple, whereas others will give different colours?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
The alum is acting as a mordant in that case - not than I can remember quite how you use it ( was salt in there somewhere ), it will give a purple but other mordants may give other colours. I think you can get browns, yellows and black out of the bark.

K

karen

Stew said:
Ok. Isn't the Alum the mordant though or do you need Alum plus a different one? Do you just mean that Alum will give the purple, whereas others will give different colours?

This is quite true, you can just use the alum or you can include copper and tin. Copper will give you warm rich colours and tin (which you have to be very careful with as it causes the material to become brittle) will give you more brassy colours.

To get different colours out of the same plant requires different parts of the plant or from differnt seasons.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE