What are you using as a Tinder box?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
Hi
Just wondered what people are use to keep their tinder in?
Do you even bother with one?
I suppose it begs the question what types of tinder do you keep in it?

Thanks

illumeo

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
illumeo said:
Hi
Just wondered what people are use to keep their tinder in?
Do you even bother with one?
I suppose it begs the question what types of tinder do you keep in it?

Thanks

illumeo

I keep my tinder in a zip lock bag inside my new leather pouch courtesy of John Fenna,
Its mainly birch bark and Maya sticks, But there is other stuff in there that I collect on my travels.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
In my jacket breast pocket I have 2 envelopes. One stuffed with cattail fluff and the other with dried grass.

Is that weird?

EDIT: I did have until I needed to start a fire on the allotment this morning. Time to re-stock :D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Left pocket of my swannie always seems to have a good mixture of stuff since I tend to put freshly gathered stuff in there to dry. Also use a plain tobacco pouch I got from... a tobacconists with a big stuffed bear outside.

and, to be honest I always have a film canister with some cotton wool and vaseline in a pocket too :)

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Hey

Do you ever get those re-sealable pack lunch bags. I use one of them keeps it all waterproof may not look very good but its full of tiny strips of birch bark the bits that curl off and you can collect easily and some bits of bark about 3 inch by 4 inch which can be scrapped to get the very fine powder that lights super easy with a firesteel. Its also got some rubber inertube in there which is easy to start a fire with if you light it burns for a long time even if its got wet. I also cut up a few bits of birch bark into long thin strips like long matches which you can light one end from a fire and it burns like a match to light a candle or whatever you have in mind. Its clear as well so I can see which bits I wanted to get out and I carry it in a side pocket in my trousers.

Dont know if that helps. But its a real budget option lol

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
thanks guys, some good ideas for me to try, kind of expected someone to be using an old tobacco tin but the tobacco pouches seem a bit more versatile.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
illumeo said:
thanks guys, some good ideas for me to try, kind of expected someone to be using an old tobacco tin but the tobacco pouches seem a bit more versatile.
Good thing about the pouches is it allows the tinder to breathe and thus dry out. If you put tinder that's even a little bit damp in a tin, you're going to end up with a tin of damp tinder.... which is where the cotton wool and vaseline comes in.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I keep a Zippo in my right trouser pocket. At ALL times. Does that count as tinder? In all seriousness though, when I want tinder I take a sharp, flat rock and scrape up and down the bark of a cedar tree. A couple of strikes from a firesteel and we have ignition. :)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I use some yellow rubber tabacoo pouches that I picked up for a couple of quid from the net somewhere.

Mixture of tinders in amoungst them, birch bark, cherry bark, honey suckle bark, red cedar bark, cramp ball, Amadou, clematis seed, bullrush seed, and thistle down. And a couple of sachets of silica gel just to help dry it off :D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One of these

decon80.JPG

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've two kits, the one I should realy make more effort to be proficient in which has char cloth, plumbers tow, a good Ragnar made steel, gun and picked up flints, small candle and maya sticks in a old biscuit cutter tin

And the kit I actually use beig lazy/practical is a firesteel, MoD fag tube full of cottonwool/vaseline gunk and Maya stick splints in a penknife pouch with a couple of wetfire blocks stuffed in the bottom.

I have made up another tinder box for Jnr (8) and he loves making sparks, he actually has more joy than I do. Yup, I included plasters in it!

Tom

PS, does anyone know of a source of soldered, rather than stamped out, round tins? Something more suitable for period trekking? My soldering skills are awful otherwise I'd make one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE