What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The Doors of Eden, Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Ahh, I've not read that one yet.
I really liked Dogs Of War and Bear Head by him and have recently finished Empire Of Black and Gold as well, that was quite good but not anything like as good as the other two.

I'm now on The Moons A Balloon by David Niven which so far is very entertaining and he comes across as a thoroughly decent chap.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I really liked Dogs Of War and Bear Head by him and have recently finished Empire Of Black and Gold as well, that was quite good but not anything like as good as the other two.

I'm now on The Moons A Balloon by David Niven which so far is very entertaining and he comes across as a thoroughly decent chap.
I could probably re read David Niven’s book again 40 years on:)
He was a great character.

I’m currently reading Roger Barnes’ The Dinghy Cruising Companion.
S

Reactions: crosslandkelly

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
With the mention of finding Shackleton's ship The Endurance (WOW!) on another thread brought me to remembering another boatie adventure book I enjoyed; 'Sopranino' by Patrick Ellam and Colin Mudie. The vessel herself is in The Classic Boat Museum at Cowes on The Isle of Wight if anyone fancies a trip out when on 'oliday there. If you've read the book this little vessel will have a much greater significance.:cool:
Sorry if this is slightly off the subject of Bushcrafting......
S

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
:aarghh: Just had DWP's "Restart Provider Guidance" thrown at me. Two chapters in and I'm pretty convinced Emperor Palpatine and George Orwell were consulted heavily.

All participant tasks are voluntary, except when they fail, then tasks become mandatory

Oct 23, 2020
Dewsbury
Unfortunately I don't have the concentration to sit and read, but I like audiobook's and I've gone back to one of my favourite ones whilst in recovery at home, The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell narrated by Jonathan Keeble.

Reactions: Minotaur

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have a friend who does a lot of driving for a living and he says he passes the time on those drives by listening to audiobooks and he loves it.
He does say that he sometimes feels guilty that he doesn't read more and 'just' listens to them. But I tell him that's possibly one of the best ways to enjoy a story. There's a great tradition of sitting and listening to great stories - from the time of Homer's Illiad, Beowulf, the medieval mystery plays. Stories are about sharing and experience and having them performed for you is just as valid as any other.
To be honest, I wish I listened to more audiobooks. But I find the calm voices of the narrators often lulls me to sleep and I miss it all...

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The Southern Question: Antonio Gramsci ... short thing on the politics of rural life in south of Italy in the mid-20s

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have just finished Memory Code by Dr Lynne Kelly and am working on Memory Craft by Dr Lynne Kelly. They keep getting in the way of Tristan Gooley's Natural Navigator which is interesting in a way as Memory Code is about ancient memory palaces used to remember all of the things you would need to remember in a pre-writing world.

Got a 30 day free trial of amazon audiobooks, get two free books to keep even if i cancel,
Ray Mears, We are nature.
Dave Canterbury, Bushcraft 101.
Going to search for some good Camping, Hiking and bushcraft books to listen to.
I like the idea of listening while driving, better than the dross on the radio.
I really liked Bushcraft 101 however Advanced Bushcraft the sequel is really interesting as he covers a lot of things not normally in a book like this. It goes past Survival into more Bushcraft things. I am really interested in finding something about Japanese finger weaving as relates to ropes and it all his fault.

Tristan Gooley has some good books on there.
Fascinating stuff and you start paying attention to interesting things like the sound of the wind through different trees.

Another audible book fan here.
Recent hospitalisation brought this into its own with my old iPod classic and my daughter-in-law downloading a good number of books so I could listen whilst being immobile.
Have spacesuit Will Travel is a goodie.
All the original Ian fleming, James Bond, books need to be read to understand how Hollywood has ripped the original writing apart for sensationalisation. The old books themselves are quite charming.
Stephen Fry reading Sherlock Holmes & Harry Potter is well worth it.

To turn a book into a film and capture the feel of the book, just for its value in the written story, often doesn’t work unless they’re comic books like Sin City. Well, not financially anyway. My reading (trash novels) is separate from my listening (Under Milk Wood at the moment), and my watching (Joker, terribly sad film all in all).
I would massively disagree as Sin City and 300 are the only good adaptations until Marvel came along. The Dark Knight Returns is in a lot of the top 100 books to read and DC turned it into Batman Vs Superman. Sudder.
The Joker is a amazing and disturbing film.

Reactions: swyn and cbrdave

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
If David Niven book talks about tidworth barracks in the 1920s I read that book in the early 90s when the barracks hadnt changed at all. Still as bad as he said

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have just finished Memory Code by Dr Lynne Kelly and am working on Memory Craft by Dr Lynne Kelly. They keep getting in the way of Tristan Gooley's Natural Navigator which is interesting in a way as Memory Code is about ancient memory palaces used to remember all of the things you would need to remember in a pre-writing world.

I really liked Bushcraft 101 however Advanced Bushcraft the sequel is really interesting as he covers a lot of things not normally in a book like this. It goes past Survival into more Bushcraft things. I am really interested in finding something about Japanese finger weaving as relates to ropes and it all his fault.

Fascinating stuff and you start paying attention to interesting things like the sound of the wind through different trees.

Stephen Fry reading Sherlock Holmes & Harry Potter is well worth it.

I would massively disagree as Sin City and 300 are the only good adaptations until Marvel came along. The Dark Knight Returns is in a lot of the top 100 books to read and DC turned it into Batman Vs Superman. Sudder.
The Joker is a amazing and disturbing film.
Thanks. I like Stephen Fry and his voice is great for story telling.
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE