What an utter swine...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just saw this had been posted on Ben and Lois Orford's Facebook page

Wanted! Sad day today as had this fantastic gift that was carved for us taken from our stand at the bushcraft show. We brought it to show folks the talent of our friend and feel gutted someone took it. If anyone sees or know anything about it please let us know!#craftlabknives #craftlableather

11350448_1613768472173601_3545348182937949_n.jpg

So sad that there's such low lifes out there that would stoop so low as to steal from folk like Ben and Lois :(

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
utter scum bags. I spoke to ben and lois today funnily enough far too nice a couple to fall victim to scum

Unfortunatly the chap from english hand made blades told me he had one of his own leather working gouge's stolen while he was showing his tools to another customer

Theres definately some lowlifes about :(

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I can't take this in !.....I saw it yesterday...Ben and Lois are unbelievably friendly and helpful at every show I've met them...I can't believe what depths people will stoop to.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sadly many people steal things and most thieves are opportunistic, you give them the opportunity and they take your stuff, it doesn't matter how nice you are in fact the nicer people are often seen as easy marks by the type of who people steal opportunistically, i learnt this the hard way as i used to be far too trusting and consequently had a lot of stuff stolen over the years, nowadays i trust no ****er and never present opportunities for someone to steal anything from me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:sigh:
They say that the hurt you cause will come back at you three times…..sometimes I wish we knew it was true.

Thievery like this is inexcusable.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We're a relatively small group of enthusiasts so hopefully someome will spot it and pass on the info. Funny in the past a lot of folk wouldn't have crossed a blacksmith like that. To much fear and superstition about them. Plus bad karma to cross someone with that many sharp and.dangerous things.
Hope they get it back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Sadly many people steal things and most thieves are opportunistic, you give them the opportunity and they take your stuff, it doesn't matter how nice you are in fact the nicer people are often seen as easy marks by the type of who people steal opportunistically, i learnt this the hard way as i used to be far too trusting and consequently had a lot of stuff stolen over the years, nowadays i trust no ****er and never present opportunities for someone to steal anything from me

We mustn't let the actions of the few make us distrustful of the many. Most folk wouldn't do this sort of thing.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
We mustn't let the actions of the few make us distrustful of the many. Most folk wouldn't do this sort of thing.

Sadly from my experience it is the majority of people who would and the minority who do not

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Sadly from my experience it is the majority of people who would and the minority who do not

Similar to GGTBod I’ve had lots of stuff pinched from me too, I’ve also lent lots of things to folks and never got them back which I consider theft as well (can I borrow this often really means if you lend me this I’m keeping it and you ain’t getting it back). Hard knocks has taught me most folks are not trustworthy, and sometimes the worst culprits are the ones who appear the nicest with the biggest smiles (which is why the best con-men are the friendliest ones). I have had to curb my trusting nature which is rather sad. Years ago I went to the Weston Park Game Fair in Shropshire and helped the Late Fred J. Taylor with some rabbit nets, he had his ferret locator stolen off the stand which saddened him mostly as it held sentimental value, he had his suspicions who it was and a description was given to the police and miraculously they arrested the guy on the gate as he was leaving the show and the locator was recovered. So a happy end in that case but all too often it’s not.

PS - edited just to add, what a daft thing to steal, easily recognizeable it can't be put on ebay or anything, it's an ornament only so has no practical use, which makes me think it was stolen on an impulse thing at an opportunistic moment, further reinforcing my belief that many folks sadly can't resist temptation.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It took me decades to break down my overtrusting nature, time and time again i thought i had learnt my lesson and then i'd leave an opportunity for something to be stolen and it would be, i look back and i'm amazed i didn't learn this lesson first time around when i was 5 years old and left my bike against my front door whilst i nipped in to take a pee, i was only gone 2 minutes but that was enough time for someone to see it and come into our garden and take a 5 year olds brand new bike, the very last time something was stolen from my was 12 years ago and it was by a friend of mine who had been my friend since i was 9 years old, i'd left him in my house whilst i went to the shop and whilst out he had went in my bedroom and went through my bedside cabinet and wardrobe and stole money.

Nowadays i don't present opportunities and things don't get stolen, the chocolate is behind plastiglass in shops not because a minority of people will steal it if they have the opportunity, i freely admit i have misanthropic tendencies they have built up over the years through being around too many people.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I saw the stand today and the top of the counters looked bare compared to Saturday and Sunday and I wondered why. There were leather pouches etc on display to easilly handle and the carved knife in the block as well.

Hopefully it will turn up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE