What a great day.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been a superb day today, firstly, the Postman bought me a couple of packages, one of which contained these lovelies:)

DSCN7146.jpg

A new Wildlife hatchet and a Hans Karlsson 30-55 Gouge.

So having had my days work postponed and as the sun was shining (for a change), i took the opportunity to finish off a couple of bowls i had started.

First one is made from Ash, and is the section i removed when i made my Bowl Horse, i had previously roughed it out with the adze, but have been waiting for the gouge to arrive before i could do any more work on it

DSCN7163.jpg

Once i had finished the inside, i used the Wildlife to refine the exterior shape and surfaces, once the rough shape had been achieved, it was down to knife work and then onto the shave horse for final smoothing with a draw knife, I think it turned out alright in the end?

DSCN7175.jpg

DSCN7187.jpg

with a two Pence piece for scale

DSCN7165.jpg

i then turned my attention to the Willow bowl i started a few weeks back, this one has a tooled surface both inside and out, it still needs a good deal of fine carving to finish it off

DSCN7196.jpg

DSCN7194.jpg

All in all a quality day.:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, the gouge is 30mm wide and was razor sharp and ready to go straight from the box

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps.

@Rich - have a go mate, they are fairly easy to do

@Biker - thanks mate, just need to try and sell a few of the bowls ive got hanging around now.

@MonkeyBoy - Thanks mate, will try to remember to bring the adze to a Meet so you can have a go.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well thank you, but I regard turning on a powered lathe (where the lathe does all the work and you can sand something within an inch of its life in next to no time, thereby getting out all the tool marks that show your rubbish technique) as vastly inferior to carving one out by hand.

Besides, my turning doesn't stand comparison with most other turners that I've seen either.

It was a nice bit of wood, though.

I aspire to your carving skills :)

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well thank you, but I regard turning on a powered lathe (where the lathe does all the word and you can sand something within an inch of its life in next to no time, thereby getting out all the tool marks that show your rubbish technique) as vastly inferior to carving one out by hand.

Besides, my turning doesn't stand comparison with most other turners that I've seen either.

It was a nice bit of wood, though.

I aspire to your carving skills :)

Thanks mate, maybe true, but it was still a superb bowl you made, you have the skill for sure

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE