wet wet fletchings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
Got completely bloody soaked today ata field shoot. My fletchings gave up after about five minutes as did most of the competitiors. Is there anyway to give fletchings back their original shape after such a thrashing?

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
bent-stick said:
It's amazing what a bit of steam will do.

When they are dry hold them in some steam and then tap the arrows on the palm of your hand. They should 'zip up' eventually.
cool thanks

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
These are real feather fletchings I presume? if so then it is dead easy.

All you have to do is gently stroke the fibers of the feather between thumb and four finger, just start at the quill side and slide your fingers gently outwards. This zips the fibers back together, its the same thing the birds do when they preen themselves.

Here is a feather from one of my chickens, pretty soon it will be on my first proper atlatl dart. But I've just soaked it under the tap and ruffed it up with my fingers.

Here it is half dun.

Here it is, as good as new :) .

When its dry I will do it again and it will be perfect.

It is a knack but wunce you get the hang of it you cant get any easier.

Hope that helps. :D

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
sweet! fletchings are looking much better. I'd like to know how that chicken feather works out. I have some chickens andd I know that they are dying to donate feathers to my cause.
Yes I was at perris watching people sliding all over the place I saw it through to the bitter end and have only just dried out.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've always had that trouble, so these days I try to limit the amount of water that gets to the fletchings ( i know, imposible really! :rolleyes: )

-I tried fishing fly dry liquid stuff and it was rubbish.
-I tried spray on silicon spray (fabsil gold I think it was), it worked but was quite heavy.
- I tried hairspray (somebody suggested it). rubish.

Now I use woodsmoke! I found that by waving the fletchings through a very smoky fire the formaldehyde and other things help to coat the feathers and protect them form moisture :) I keep meaning to try cold smoking a bunch before fletching the arrows, but keep forgetting :rolleyes:

NB, I found it does discolour white feathers, but since I normally shoot pink it's not a problem. :D (REAL men shoot pink btw :cool: )

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Guys

Slightly different angle, I’ve just invested in a new bow and have been hording about 60 greylag primaries to make a set of hunting arrows, broadheads and small game.

Question, cut fletching to shape prior to attaching to shaft, or attach to shaft and then shape, and what angle should the fletching be at for best results. Previously used between 5 and 10 degrees best guestimate reasonably good results.

Any suggestions?

Best regards, Pothunter.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have tried both methods and I think it comes down to your scissor skills.

With a bit of practice you can trim feathers to a pretty similar shape (as good as the eye can see without measuring anyway). A nice big set of dagging shears will do the trick and you can do it in one motion.

I have got a feather burner in the workshop, which runs off of electricity. Basically heats up a bit of wire that you have pre-bent into shape. Then you turn the arrow through 360 degrees with the uncut feathers on it, burning off the excess.

Dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to fashion something that you can heat up in the fire though. Possibly easier to stick with shears.

The angle for the offset of the fletchings will depend on your actual kit - trial and error is best. I set my jigs up years ago and haven't moved them since.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I....I....I just can't bring myself to order pink fletchings.....but I will try the fire trick sounds great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE