Wet Forming sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi

Excuse this stupid question from beginner but do you sew leather before or after you've wet formed a knife sheath.

Regards

Roger

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Funny you should post this question Roger, I asked the same after I made my first sheath, Wet form after is what I was told.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
i wet formed first with mine and got the desired shape i dried it and then stitched but im sure alot more experienced people on here to help atb, wayne

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would say it depends on what type of leather and style of sheath myself.

With Veg tanned leather western style sew the sheath then wet it I would also advise then chilling it in the fridge wrapped in cling film for at least half an hour.

For a Scandi sheath in halftanned leather wet it before sewing is the norm and again at least half an hour in the fridge wrapped in cling film.

I would also advise cutting you nails if they are long and taking it slowly to reduce marks on the leather. A neele grip or piece of bike inner tube help with puling and pushing the needle. Spend plenty of time getting the holes big enough to make the needle pull through they will close up when wet if you dont drill them.

Look through teh Stickies HERE for more tips

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Sorry not trying to hijack post but can I reform a sheath by wet forming to a new slightly smaller knife ? Atb stewart

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I have only made one wetformed sheath, and formed it before stiching. The result is just fine. I think you can make te sheath fit tighter if you stich afterwards, or at least, that's what my gynaecologist told me.

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
i would wet form before and after the stitching and as long as the leather isn't super waxy you can re-wet form at any time and it doesn't need to be drowned in water either!! just until it browns and always use warm to warmer water it works much better than cold.Also i've never heard of clingfilming and then refrigerating a sheath after the wet form either?? maybe someone can explain that to me. Once i've stitched the sheath and done the final wet forming i put it in the oven to heat up the leather which also hardens it in the process then wax it with a concoction of my own making. I learn't this process from Robert W Loveless's book ''how to make knives'' it works for me

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
View attachment 12637

Well Its not pretty but it looks as if It will do its job. Just need to wet form and then dye etc

First sheath and I'm learning and enjoying the experience.

I don't think that the other leather workers have anything to worry about :lmao:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's better looking than my first sheath and if it stops the knife getting damaged or causing damage then it's fulfilled its purpose

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE