Wet forming a sheath HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
just finished wet forming a sheath for my new knife and ahv a problem. to hold the sheath in position while it dried i used some bulldog clips (think thats what their called) and they have stained the leather black, is there any thing i can do to get it out? tried scrubbing with water and soap and rubbing with some meths but no affect.
wanted to dye the sheath brown or tan, but looks like it might now have to be black
any help would be apeciated
thanks
tp

PS. also for future referance what shall i ues to hold the leather in position?
thanks again

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
The black is iron tannate, formed by the reaction of the steel & the tannin in the leather - and it is deep in the leather. Oxalic acid might remove some of it, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Best bet is to dye the entire thing black.

There is an old black dye that is sometimes used made up by dissolving iron/steel in vinegar until no more will dissolve - it doesn't run, is permanent, but takes a wee while for the smell of vinegar to dissipate.

Another time, you might want to glue some scrap leather into the jaws of your bulldog clips - much kinder on the leather, and no chance of the tannate forming!

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
right thanks alot, will do that next time. will prob dye the whole thing black, unless some one else comes up with a sure way to remove it.
thanks for the dye tip, suppose it works the same way as the steel in the bull dog clips!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Yup, exactly the same thing - except in the dye you're using iron acetate, which can soak into the leather more evenly.

Other than oxalic acid, there's really nothing going to shift that that I know of!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You can buy small plastic spring clamps from B&Q or other hardware stores. They work great for holding leather and don't cause staining. It's best to put a piece of scrap between the leather and the clip though otherwise you might get an impression of the clamp jaw in the soft leather.

Another way is to get the leather wet moulded round the knife and push your awl through both layers in maybe three or four places along the edge. Push a needle with some thread through the hole and tie it in a knot. That'll hold it together while the leather drys.

Eric

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
thanks for all the advice, lots of stuff to bare in mind next time
any idea as to a source of oxalic acid? had a quick look on google, but didnt reveal much
thanks again
tp

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The easist thing IMHO is to do the stitching whilst the leather is wet, Much easier to pust an awl through and perfect tension

Cheers
Nick

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
News Flash! : have dyed it black, with the iron vinegar mix, works a treat, thanks alot Espy, saved me some money there. thanks to every one else who has posted sugestions, lots to think about next time.
i would post a pic but have a feeling that it might take a while to set every thing up, and dont have much time at the mo (stupid course work!!) when i get a chance i will.
thanks again
tp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE