Westfalia dehydrator advice

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I went for the westfalia dehydrator after seeing some favourable reviews on here. One question I have is if I want to dehydrate some runny stuff like sauces or even cooked mince that will drop through the rack holes, do I just put down some grease proof paper first or will this stop the airflow?

Thanks,

Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Greaseproof works no bother, I used it last night for a batch of chilli. I've read that some folk use clingfilm and it still works, slightly longer drying times though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Put down parchment paper aka baking sheets as it's a bit thicker, that's all i do with mine and i dehydrate stuff like mince and pasta with sauces no problemns at all, just leave a bit a room around the edge and cut the circle out in the middle

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Many thanks. I was envisioning drying some sauce and making a right old mess!!

I'm going to try drying some eggs first then move on to veggies and maybe some canned meals like spaghetti and meat and see how I go.

Steve.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I dehydrated some scrambled egss last june as an experiment - had them not that long ago - very tasty:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dried eggs? not seen that one. I always thought dairy and eggs was a no no?

these were alright, i sniffed the bag they were in first and it smelt ok, so i added water and tried a bit, then tried a bit more - im still alive:)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Will have to do a little research on what can be dried. On the subject of dairy and eggs you can buy commercially dried stuff from milk to cheese to egg powder so should have thought a DIY attempt should be ok?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have decided to just buy powdered eggs to save a lot of fuss:eek:

So far all I have dried is some mixed veg...

004-7.jpg

I cooked up some mince beef today and have that in the dryer along with some more mixed veg, broccoli and mixed peppers.

My plan is to make up some meals using a pot noodle or super noodle as the base and add some veg and mince and maybe some seasoning if needed or gravy granules? Then If ok I will vacuum seal the meals up for longer storage?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been using baking parchment cut into circles to stop stuff dropping through the tray holes. I noticed the drying is severely inhibited even though I left a gap around the edge.

If anyone is interested I have just bought some HDPE plastic sheets with 2mm holes. I will have to cut the sheets to fit but it should aid greatly in the air-flow?

Steve.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i just use the bottom of the dehydrator as it is when making fruit leather as it just peels off easily.
but u might wanna protect it with cling film of baking paper if using spicier smelling subjects !

cheers
andrew.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
So I bought some HDPE 2mm hole mesh from ebay... 290553120409 to make some screens for the dehydrator. From the little research I have done it seems HDPE is food safe but does anyone know of any problems with heating this type of plastic within a dehydrator? Anyone know what plastic is used to make these food dehydrators themselves?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE