west sussex

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Pubs in Brighton (East Sussex, we're not as posh as West Sussex) are excellent locations for spotting wild life. Greater tattooed Trippers with full vocal display are always present and legless Hen partychicks abound at weekends. After dark on the lower seafront it's possible to see many varieties of Limpus Wristus which tend to roost in the bushes from early evening along by the marina. Immediately opposite said bushes is an area of shingle beach set aside by the local Council for the visiting Starkus skinnydippits which strangely are almost all of the male variety, which is obviously disappointing to genuine Bird Watchers. Friday and Saturday nights hiking North in West Street can be a difficult journey, especially in fine weather when much of the wildlife may be engaged into the early hours in frequent and often extremely violent mating displays and contests. Gear to ensure safe arrival at the Railway Station could possibly include a distress beacon and SFA until you are safely on the train...back to West Sussex..:lmao::lmao:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Where in West Sussex are you?
I used to live in Chichester, and there's LOADS of woods nearby, all along the South Downs. Used to spend loads of times going for rambles near Lavant and then a few pints in the Earl of March.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
As the others have said, you are slap in the middle of some fine, fine countryside. As to what to do in it, well your imagination & legality are the only limits.

Take heed of Wicca's well observed information regarding Brighton too. Having said all that though there are many great Ale houses away from all the razzle-dazzle.

Why not walk the South Downs way? A good introduction to some of West & East Sussex.

Then there is Ashdown Forest.

The Weald & Downland museum is well worth a visit & is just down the road from you.

Also check out Nature Fest & the Woodfair at Bently motor & wildfoul museum.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I live in selsey in the tip of a peninsula and i do not have a car to get to the woods.

perhaps a lightweight tent or a bivvy bag and hike it a bit then maybe?

sometimes having a car is a headache imo, i havent found many places where i can drive to them, safely park the car overnight, and get far enough away from civilistation that i cant hear trains, roads etcetera

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I am just down the road from you and I have been going down to Eartham woods. I go on the bike but I guess it's only a bus ride away. I've done several 2/3 hours jaunts, and tried all sorts of 'bushcrafty' type things.

Really enjoyed my self.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
nope deffo not, its all open hills and coastline :D

Yea, I know,but in theory after Surrey its W/sussex and Hants in the trees per Sq Mile league. Selsey is particularly isolated, It takes forever just to reach Chi from there. The parts of the county north of the A27 arn't bad tho'.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I was born and brought up just outside Chi, so I appreciate your difficulty in getting to the woodland on the Downs from Selsey without a car. However, you do have some excellent coastline to explore, I'd start there.

From where you are I'd also suggest some form of boat too (with appropriate training, blah blah). There is a very active group for the Solent area within the Dinghy Cruising Association who frequently meet up in Chi harbour or sail across to the Isle of Wight. I'm not talking about huge yachts, but dinghies of ten to 16 feet that can be bought for relatively little money. In the past I've launched a canoe at Climping and been up to Pallingham Quay on the Arun and back. Last year a mate and I paddled from Chi canal basin to Dell Quay via canal and Fishbourne Creek. I realise that a car is going to make using a canoe much easier, but if you have deep pockets then folding boats are available.

Don't rule out the distances that can be travelled by push bike either. While it's been twenty years since I left Sussex, I found even then that a push bike could be quicker than a car for many trips because of the volume of traffic.

Get an OS map and start looking for bits of woodland nearby, I'm sure there'll be more than you think. You've a lot on your doorstep, get out and enjoy it!

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
wheres Eartham woods? and has anyone gone camping at goodwood? i would like to but are you allowed?

Me and my friend have started going around the coast around here, and have found a little bit of a wood, whe have made some fires and tryed catching prawns, but it was high tide, so no luck, instead i picked aload of plants and cooked them. i can say where most of the wild plants have a medicinal or eddiable use here.

We want to make it a monthly thing.

Last edited:

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
wheres Eartham woods? and has anyone gone camping at goodwood? i would like to but are you allowed?

Me and my friend have started going around the coast around here, and have found a little bit of a wood, whe have made some fires and tryed catching prawns, but it was high tide, so no luck, instead i picked aload of plants and cooked them. i can say where most of the wild plants have a medicinal or eddiable use here.

We want to make it a monthly thing.

Binsted Woods about a mile from Arundel Castle is quite a nice place to camp and easy to find a nice spot where no one will ever see you or come near you. Just leave the place as you found it and clean up your fire and I don't see the issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE