West Mdlands Meet - Summer'08

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
This sounds like a plan to me and although I don't have any large cooking utensils I have no problem bringing along something for the pot. Any suggestions?

I usually have some bannock mix ready to go if anyone fancies some.:)

I've no large cookings pots either but i'm willing to get some veg, carrots or whatever ! Really whatever Aldi has in at the time, (Aldi is just round the corner from me so it's easy to get to).

Never had any bannock being a newbie an all so thats a nice offer, thanks BB.

Does anybody fancy some german sausage kebabs ? we could make some up with tomatoes, mushrooms etc. (Lidl for this one, again, just round the corner).

your thoughts ?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive added myself to the list if thats ok. Got a late pass out from the mrs, but cant escape Derby till Sat about 1pm. So just the 1 night and most of Sun. Cheers. Got a clipper for the raffle, a bit dull I know after Bernies lovelly offer.

Meet List:

Andy2112 +1
Bodge + 2 or 3 or 4 - tents hammocks and tarps and kitchen sinks.
Bootstrap Bob - tarp and bivvi,
Bushcraft Bailey - Hammock (Will confirm closer to date)
Cobweb+Bramble+2 (if possible/real life allowing - pending possible work).
corr - tarp - hope so.
decorum - ground dwelling for this one (+ poss 1 extra).
Dingo + 2 hammock & tent.
EEM tent (one night) -
Gwhtbushcraft + dad (hammocks)
maverick - hammock.
Mesquite + 2 extra - Tarp.
PJMcBear - Hammock.
Wallenstein - tent.
Scrumpy - Scrumpy jr - Hammocks.
shaggystu + 1 - tarp and bivvis
Thunderbeard - Hammock.
Wayland - Hammock + Mega tarp again.
WhichDoctor - Tent.
Woodstock + Mrs Woodstock + tent and -hammock.
Xylaria + tribe (2 adults+2children in all)
Addo - Hammock & tarp

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ive added myself to the list if thats ok. Got a late pass out from the mrs, but cant escape Derby till Sat about 1pm. So just the 1 night and most of Sun. Cheers.

Not a problem :D

Got a clipper for the raffle, a bit dull I know after Bernies lovelly offer.

Ooh - close one! If I'd been able to get on the net this morning you'd be kicking yourself :lmao: .

I've forgot to mention something important!

So that people can use their new items (or receive instructions in their safe use) the raffle will take place shortly after breakfast on the Saturday Morning and the 'sharps' raffle tickets will be just ONE GREAT BRITISH POUND EACH - the non - sharps raffle tickets will be 50 pence each.

So that there can be no signs of impropriety (legality issues with supplying knive etc) tickets for the 'sharps' raffle will only be sold to those who have already an 18th Birthday.

Because it is my error and because he posted first addo WILL be allowed to both donate and enter the raffle - most situations and problems are solvable.

addo - unfortunately this puts you in a difficult position :eek: . That of deciding how many tickets you wants prior to the Meet - if you wish to dip in can you group P.M myself, Mesquite and woodstock the number (please don't post the number in this thread!) - feel free to ask questions.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
just ONE GREAT BRITISH POUND EACH.

I've just had a bit of a paranoid moment :)bluThinki quoi moi? :D ) - the ticket price is purposely low. We've gone this way so as to not exclude any who might be genuinely strapped for cash and may never hope to purchase a knife like this whilst gently trying to persuade a couple of extra squid out of the pockets of the richer folk.

Not a problem :D

Ooh - close one! If I'd been able to get on the net this morning you'd be kicking yourself :lmao: .

I've forgot to mention something important!

So that people can use their new items (or receive instructions in their safe use) the raffle will take place shortly after breakfast on the Saturday Morning and the 'sharps' raffle tickets will be just ONE GREAT BRITISH POUND EACH - the non - sharps raffle tickets will be 50 pence each.

So that there can be no signs of impropriety (legality issues with supplying knive etc) tickets for the 'sharps' raffle will only be sold to those who have already an 18th Birthday.

Because it is my error and because he posted first addo WILL be allowed to both donate and enter the raffle - most situations and problems are solvable.

addo - unfortunately this puts you in a difficult position :eek: . That of deciding how many tickets you wants prior to the Meet - if you wish to dip in can you group P.M myself, Mesquite and woodstock the number (please don't post the number in this thread!) - feel free to ask questions.

I plan to come friday after noon but there is a chance I wont make it till saturday morning.
What do you class as saturday morning decorum? 11 (ish)? I would hate to miss the raffle for any of the items:D

Bodge

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I plan to come friday after noon but there is a chance I wont make it till saturday morning.
What do you class as saturday morning decorum?

Erm ... open to movement to lunch?

I would hate to miss the raffle for any of the items

Even if we'd set the raffle time for the Friday evening I'd be more than happy for you to pledge to buy 'x' tickets and hand over the money whether you won or anything or not.

We've a couple of bods who are staying for one night and it's a balancing act :D - some Friday and some Saturday.
Those who can't turn up until after the raffle can (providing they've pledged, paid and got a 'winning' ticket) take their prize(s) home with them; but conversely, if we put the raffle off for too long then it could be a case of chasing people up for their for addresses or possibly up the drive :D . I'd rather trust people to honour a pledge to buy tickets than to try to get hold of someones address and send it on - i.e. the possibility of ongoing work on the site causing access problems or that people who win are intermittent users of the site. We've looked at the possibility of a sudden influx of interest of attending the Meet. This isn't something that we'd be against, but I'd not be a happy bunny if someone, who hadn't already posted their interest, posted 'Can't be there until Midday Sunday - looking forward to the raffle' :( :tapedshut :bandit:.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Reminder time :D

The site requires that all those who shoot on the rifle range fill in and hand over this form prior to being allowed to even pick up an air rifle - N.B. each form covers just one person.

Because of the nature of the form and the reasons for having to fill one in, the fact that you've filled it out for this Meet won't cover you for any future Meets.

The good news is that there are absolutely no forms to fill out for the archery.

Keep the forms some where safe - please don't hand them to me as I probably won't be at the sessions to give them to the range officer.

Remember to take the forms to the range - No form - No shoot - No exceptions.

Each form must be legible - if your hand writing looks like the death throes of an arthrytic spider please fill it out on the computer, print it off and sign it.

The forms need to be handed over to those running the sessions when you get there; for legal reasons they can't rely on trust, word of mouth, lists or memory for who is ok to shoot.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Just a little reminder as I have posted do we still need a Xlarge cooking pot because I have to carry it a distance and dont wont to unless it is going to be used it iim sure its big enough to feed all

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
Thats me confirmed.....free diary and a domestic pass out! :approve:

Meet List:

Andy2112 +1
Bushcraft Bailey - Hammock (Poss +1)
corr - tarp - hope so.
EEM tent (one night) -
maverick - hammock.
PJMcBear - Hammock.
Wallenstein - tent.
Thunderbeard - Hammock.
WhichDoctor - Tent.
Addo - Hammock & tarp

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thats me confirmed.....

Good job you confirmed - somehow you'd been knocked off the list and I'd missed it :eek: .

Bit of a long post :eek: . With a week to go I though I'd collate the info; this post contains the Meet and shooting lists, the location and prices. If I've missed anything(s) please point it/them out :D .

Meet List:

Addo - Hammock & tarp (one night).
Andy2112 +1
Bushcraft Bailey - Hammock (Poss +1).
corr - tarp - hope so.
EEM tent (one night) -
maverick - hammock.
PJMcBear - Hammock.
Wallenstein - tent.
Thunderbeard - Hammock.
WhichDoctor - Tent.

Shooting list:

The two sessions are now full - I may be able to book further sessions - but I make no promises!
You can, however, still add your name to the reserve list - first reserve will replace the first to drop out and so on (everyone else will take precedence to myself) or, if there is enough interest I'll ask the site whether we can have one or more extra sessions.

Andy2112 +1 - Archery & air rifle - Either session.
Bootstrap Bob - Archery - Either session.
Gwhtbushcraft + dad - archery and air rifle.
maverick - Archery and air rifle - Either session.
Mesquite (+ 2 extra) - Archery and Air rifle - Either session.
Thunderbeard - Archery.
Wallenstein - rifles. - Gp. 2.
WhichDoctor - Archery and Air rifle.
Xylaria + tribe - Archery and air rifle.

As long as all of the places are taken the costs for the archery and air rifle session will be £2.75 per person and £3.13 per person respectively (or $5.88 per person for those doing both).

Reserve list for shooting:

decorum - both - if needed to make up numbers.

I've booked the ranges and times.
They will be on the Saturday - 11.00 and run until 12.00 and 14.00 - 15.00.

Group1.

Archery :- 11.00 - 12.00 (£2.75 per person)
Air rifles :- 14.00 - 15.00 (£3.13 per person)

Group 2.

Air rifles :- 11.00 - 12.00 (£3.13 per person)
Archery :- 14.00 - 15.00 (£2.75 per person)

Location is Rough Close Campsite.

Price is £3.60 per person per night.

Family friendly - so your youngsters are welcome!

Can people please bring a bit of spare change rather than just notes - I have to use public transport to get to work during the week.

Each of the pocket campsites has a designated area for ground fires; to keep the site tidier and easier to use - outside of the designated areas contained fires can be used (raised half drums and trail stoves etc).

I believe that during drought that the site retains the privillege to ban ground/semi-open/open (etc) fires for as long as they deem fit for the safety of both those on site and of the site itself - BUT I really can't see this being a problem at the moment.
The site, according to MAGIC, is a mix of Ancient and Semi-Natural and Ancient Replanted woodland – There is a SSSI which shares its borders with the S/E corner of the site.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I believe that during drought that the site retains the privillege to ban ground/semi-open/open (etc) fires for as long as they deem fit for the safety of both those on site and of the site itself - BUT I really can't see this being a problem at the moment.
Heh, no kidding!

On a serious note, has the recent rainfall turned the site into a swamp, or is it still reasonably firm underfoot?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
SWMBO has decided against it, she's off to a folk festival instead so just myself now.

cheers,

stuart

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
On a serious note, has the recent rainfall turned the site into a swamp, or is it still reasonably firm underfoot?

No idea - yet!
It shouldn't be too bad though as the bit we'll be using is mulch/mud over clay and is a bit raised. It's the lower and/or clay topped areas which take the time to dry out. It'd be a good idea to take gaiters though - or, failing that, wellies - as many of the tracks which surround the pitch, do get swamped and can take weeks to drain/dry out properly.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
No idea - yet!
It shouldn't be too bad though as the bit we'll be using is mulch/mud over clay and is a bit raised. It's the lower and/or clay topped areas which take the time to dry out. It'd be a good idea to take gaiters though - or, failing that, wellies - as many of the tracks which surround the pitch, do get swamped and can take weeks to drain/dry out properly.

Might be a good idea to bring some canoes as well if it carries on raining. LOL :D

Did everyone see my post on the cook out ? The one about doing a list for the veggies etc ? What does anyone think about it ? good idea or no ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE