West Highland Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Planning on walking and wildcamping the West Highland Way starting from the 1st of November.
Ive had a look through this forum and various others and i pretty much have most of the information i need, but im just starting this thread for the odd question i do have.

First off, ive read a couple of people saying to start at Drymen and miss the section from Milngavie-Drymen. After looking at the map, im inclined to agree. Im not bothered about being a total completionist, but is there anything in this section that makes it worth it?

Secondly, Is there much chance of snow in the hills by first week of November?

Thirdly, I like having the details a 1:2500 OS map gives, but i would need to carry a few of them. Is there any all in one maps with a good level of detail? Some of the guide books look quite good, but i prefer proper map style.

Cheers

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I can't comment on the the specific route questions not having completed the WHW, however the first snowfall is often the first week in November. This need not be an issue as it is likely to be on the tops not in the glens.

Is your date totally set? If you went a month earlier you would have about an extra two hours of light in the evening. It's not much fun stuck in a dark tent for so many hours. Oct is also a better month to visit the Highlands IMO.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It's not unusual to get snow in October.
It's probably going to be wet.
Having done WHW a few times, I'd start after Loch Lomond.
On one of my trips it took 12hrs to go the 12 miles of that stretch.
And that was in good weather...

Personally, I'd not do it in November, If the weather comes down on Rannoch Moor (and it probably will) it's going to be thoroughly miserable, if not lethal.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye personally I'd miss the Milngavie-Drymen section too. It's no loss. Are you going South-North or North-South?

On the map front it's pretty hard to get lost on the "Way", even in bad weather. So the standard Landranger maps would suffice, although have you thought about the Harvey's maps? they're 1:40'000 scale. LINK Waterproof and all on one map at £12.95.

You may get snow, most probably rain - but who knows it may be a heat wave, you can never tell in the UK but I'd plan for everything.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Start at Milngavie, your quickly into some nice trails and wee lochs. Nice welcome pub at the old railway line too.

Yes, road bits are tedious before Drymen, but its the route. ROWARDENNAN TO Inversnaid and Benglas farm is the hardest bit, have plenty of food and be prepared to camp earleir than expected,

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Not really much to see between Milngavie and Drymen although that would annoy me that I hadn't done the whole thing :)

i would watch out for the North side of Loch Lommond after inversnaid, it gets a bit scary even in the dry :)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Part of the Theme of the WHW is to leave the city and travel out to and through some of the West Higlands. Like the Great Glen Way, you travel through the Great Glen. The French like Tours eg the TMB you travel in a circuit around Mont Blanc. So you complete a full circle.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have walked the whole route in late October, a few of the days were surprisingly balmy, 20c on one day I think, on the others an ocean was dropped on my head each and every hour, prepare to walk in the wet and the wind. If you have walked in a Scottish winter before you should be fine, if this is your first time, November isn't the month to do it.

I found my Buffalo top to be particularly useful.

Good luck.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Alright, tried replying twice yesterday but for some reason it said the mods had to review the posts. If you have, where are they ? :p

All fixed now, Cheers Graham_s!
I can't comment on the the specific route questions not having completed the WHW, however the first snowfall is often the first week in November. This need not be an issue as it is likely to be on the tops not in the glens.

Is your date totally set? If you went a month earlier you would have about an extra two hours of light in the evening. It's not much fun stuck in a dark tent for so many hours. Oct is also a better month to visit the Highlands IMO.

Might be crazy, but i would rather walk this with some snow around tbh, which is why i was asking. Not so that i could avoid it :)
My date is sorta set. It was either the 1st or later on in Nov/Dec, which i wasnt for due to lack of daylight as you say.

Aye personally I'd miss the Milngavie-Drymen section too. It's no loss. Are you going South-North or North-South?

On the map front it's pretty hard to get lost on the "Way", even in bad weather. So the standard Landranger maps would suffice, although have you thought about the Harvey's maps? they're 1:40'000 scale. LINK Waterproof and all on one map at £12.95.

Thats pretty much what i was looking with the map,cheers.

My plan was walk from Milngavie to Fortwilliam, allowing myself from Friday to the following Saturday (9 days). Im confident that i could do this in about 6 with alright weather, but allowing the extra 3 just incase.
But tbh, im pretty much set on starting at Drymen now. I know it misses the first 12 miles and isnt considered the route, but like i said, that doesnt really bother me. Plus it also gains me a good part of a day if i need it later on.

I do realise the weather will most likely be pretty poor, and will be well geared up for it, and with plenty of spare time up my sleeve just incase. Worst case scenario i just come off at the nearest travel link and im back home.

Last edited:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
The bears and dragons are nothing to worry about, but I sure would watch out for the Bandits. All comments about the weather are valid. There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. BE PREPARED. Stuart.

Last edited:

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I enjoyed the part between Milngavie and Drymen. It is not very spectacular, but as others have written you leave the city and walk out and see the landscape slowly changing from urban to the highlands.
Unfortunately we had to stop at Bridge of Orchy, the weather was constantly bad (summer 1998) and we were a small group with two frustrated inexperienced hikers... I want to come back some day to complete the WHW, or do it again and then complete it!

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Alright, so just a quick update incase anyone finds this thread again. No pictures as my phone isnt waterproof.

Had planned Drymen-Fortwilliam at 12 miles a day, Friday - Thursday. Thought i would do a bit more than that, but that was my minimum target each day.

Started from Drymen (beside the bed and breakfast) and head off up through the forestry. Got pretty good weather apart from one quite heavy shower on Conic hill, apart from that it was all good. My 12 mile campsite was on Ross point, but i ended up doing 16 miles and found (eventually) a flat spot for camping just beyond Ptarmigan Lodge.

Next morning i woke up to light drizzle, which then increased to a steady monsoon, which never gave up till i got in my tent later that night.
From Ptarmigan to Inversnaid was mostly alright walking, but Inversnaid through to Doune bothy was an absolute swamp. The majority of the trail was running in 2-3 inches of water, and it became pretty pointless trying keep my feet dry. Eventually got to Doune Bothy about 1pm and stopped for an hour for lunch and to try and dry my feet off, but the damage was already done and the soft spots/blisters had started.

Another guy looking for shelter arrived not long after me. He was doing it from North to South, camping as he went but was trying to decide whether to stay at the bothy for the night to dry off instead of continuing on to Rowchoish bothy. Hope he did stay there, as would only have had 2-3 hours daylight to tackle the section back to inversnaid and beyond. And he already seemed a bit sickened by the rain :\

I decided to push on another 3-4 miles to Beinglas campsite for the night. Turned out to be a bit of a mistake as it quickly became very mucky when tramping about to set up the tent, but my feet couldnt of took much more that day. Was a pretty wet and windy night, with some explosions,whistling,popping and banging thrown in. Seems they were having a quick fireworks display about 10pm ish.
Needless to say i awoke in a bit of a panic not sure whether i was in the middle of a gunfight or if my tent was getting ripped apart by windy. There was quite a bit of fumbling for the door zippers and torch to see what was going on :eek:

Sunday was quite good for weather,sunny and a bit of wind. Was a fair bit of snow on some of the munros also. Plan today was 12 miles to tyndrum at least, but most likely push on to Iveronan, 20 miles. Was making pretty good time, had done 8 or 9 miles when i stood on a stone on a downhill section in the trees between crianlarich and Tyndrum.The stone rolled down and my foot slipped away/twisted and i seem to have hurt something between my heel and ankle (achilles tendon? ). Its now slightly swollen

I was intening just to get to tyndrum and camp for the night and hopefully it would of healed overnight, but it ended up taking me almost as long to do 3 miles as it did to do the previous 9 or so. I ended up looking at the map and deciding the sections over the next 2 or 3 days were not somewhere id like to be with a dodgy foot, so i called to arrange a pickup at Tyndrum, and hobbled on.
Thought my lift was gonna beat me there too :)

So that was it over. Am pretty annoyed as i was enjoying it despite the poor weather, wasnt expecting anything else tbh. Will continue the walk from Tyndrum either on my next long weekend or possibly even over the xmas holidays.

Im not sure ill be tackling Loch Lomond side in the wet again any time soon however. Im glad i did it, but too anyone planning this walk, you really do want dry weather for that section.

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Too bad about the weather, but that is Scotland for you. :)

I hope the ankle heals quickly.

Yea, its not very nice, but with the right waterproof gear on the rain doesnt bother me that much. But when your boots and socks are squelching with every step, it does become just a bit more unbearable :)
Might need to try out a pair of the waterproof socks, though i thought they would make my feet a bit damp from sweat anyway.

Should do hopefully. Not really any pain from it today,though ive not really done anything on it yet, but it is still a bit swollen. Think would of just made it worse if i kept going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE