West Highland Way Sept 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Just had a cracking week walking the west highland way with my matey who is heading overseas on his own travels soon, so we decided to get this done last minute before he headed off.

We had a vague plan, map, filled our packs with everything necessary but kept it as light as possible, and met up in Milngavie for a late start around noon and just bashed on with it.

My biggest mistake was wearing walking shoes, as I've been wearing flat soles light shoes or boots for years so was totally out of my comfort zone, coupled with the pack weight (around 18 kilos) my feet were two blistery stumps by day two. Ryan had a cheap pack which was falling apart after a day and we both ended up with slight knee/leg injuries on top of it. By day three we capitualted and called the baggage transfer service to take our packs and used our sleeping bag bags as small day packs, and I ditched my walking shoes for my favourite wee pair of vivobarefoot slipon running shoes. from then on out we both enjoyed it a lot more without the extra weight and being in more comfortable kit. It was a simple case of jumping in at the deep end and doing ourselves damage. After that we took it more slowly, and found it so much more enjoyable, spreading the trip out over 8 days.

It was a trip of stunning scenery as it was dry all week, met plenty of lovely people, kept most of them awake with our laughter, and enjoyed plenty of tasty pints after the long days. Bumped into a beast of a mountain goat walking up alongside loch lomond which was a great surprise too!

Will definitely be doing this walk again, though next time with more time to prepare and carry our packs the whole way. Anyway, here are a bunch of photos.

WHW 2015 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 7 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 10 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 11 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 12 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 14 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 17 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 18 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 23 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 28 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 29 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 30 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 31 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 33 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 34 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

WHW 2015 36 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Cool stuff Hamish the pics are belter, thanks for sharing

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Great pictures.

Its a wonderful path that and I'm glad you could find away to do the whole of it.
The goats are feral and have been there for ages, always surprises me that they aren't mugging hikers for food. :D

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Great pictures.

Its a wonderful path that and I'm glad you could find away to do the whole of it.
The goats are feral and have been there for ages, always surprises me that they aren't mugging hikers for food. :D

Thanks, and aye it was a nice encounter :)

You guys weren't in the bar of the Inversnaid Hotel on the 17th were you? You look familiar.

Aye we were indeed, most likely nursing sore feet and a quick lunch

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Luvin' the pics, brings back good memories. Never done it end to end but completed all sections. Weather makes a difference regards enjoyment on some sections, and they midges... :mosquitos:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE