Went for a walk...lots of photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yesterday I went for a 5 mile walk with Greg, nothing too demanding as we were both breaking in new boots and I am recovering from a chest infection, but it was well worth the effort!
Leaving my place we crossed the road and walked down a field edge next to woods (I cant get perm to play here as it is regularly shot over!) and through some scrub woodland onto a track through the Home Farm of the local estate.
They are converting the old stables into cottages here but the main attraction is "the Shell House" a folly dating back to around 1820 that is a qurtz built shell decorated "amusement for the ladies" and right next to the path.
Cilwendygshellhouseexterior.jpg

Shellhouseceiling.jpg

Shellhouseinterior.jpg

hellhousefollycilwendyg.jpg

Field paths and tracks then took us via a slight diversion to a prehistoric standing stone
MaenColeman.jpg

and on into the woods, almost following an ancient right of way (now totally impassable) along a steram and old mill leat to the cottages at Cwm. We saw lots of evidence of badgers in this part of the woods and also nibbled lots of Wild Garlic - our breath must have been pungent!
Then it was back through woodland to a local beauty spot, where we paused for a Biltong and Fruit leather snack by a waterfall,
Aug31913-1.jpg

Ffynnonewaterfallstreamandpath.jpg

Ffynnonewaterfall.jpg

May02961.jpg
then went on out along a track past a lake that is silting up and onto a quiet lane, past the entrance to Estate two for the day, where we introduced the new cook to Wall Pennywort/Navel wort admired the Bluebells and the view over the hills.
A short stroll brought us back to my village, my house and lunch - kindly supplied by Greg.
We saw pheasants, buzzards, rooks, sign of rabbits and badger and nibbled lots of leaves and buds and had a great walk. The rest of the day was spent looking at leatherwork projects, starting some antler projects, chatting and discussing future meetups!
The weather was kind - not raining until we got back and the sun shining warmly most of the time.
Thanks for the company Greg.
My photos are mainly from previous trips but greg took some more on his phone.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Unfortunately the Estates are not open - except for on the Rights of Way, but there are a good number of those around.
I guess I am lucky having this literally on my doorstep, six miles or so from Cardigan.
The waterfall is Ffynonne Waterfall on the back roads between Abercych and Newchapel.
aproach the fall with caution - I have suprised young ladies bathing there, and they were wearing nothing but a smile!
Oh yea - the Shell House is by Cilwendyg in Boncath and is only open on thursdays and holidays May onwards..

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It was a fantastic little walk - Thanks John - and the wild food was a treat. What John forgot to mention was that we decided to bushwack it for part of the way having to negotiate a small river and lots of undergrowth, this made the walk a lot more interesting than following any normal well used tracks albeit still sticking to the line of the right of way!;)
The Shell House is very unusual I can quite happily say that I have never seen anything quite like it, I will definately visit it again, and as for the waterfall, well that was stunning and again well worth another visit on a nice sunny day and a friend of mine tells me that at the right time of year you can watch salmon jumping there.
All in all it was a great day and I really enjoyed it.
Unfortunately my phone is pretty pants and I have no way (that I know of) of uploading the photos and video that I took which is a shame.
Thanks again John.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE