Welsh Onion Seeds Available

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here at the homestead we have extensive herb beds which are very productive

Herb Bed by British Red, on Flickr

Increasingly we are propagating herbs and producing seed, cuttings and established plants. Clearly growing plants are hard to post, but I thought there might be interest here is some of the less run of the mill herb seeds.

One of the first I can offer is "Welsh Onion" seeds. Welsh Onion is a member of the allium family (onions, chives, garlic, ransoms). It is a perennial plant (grows each year and does not die over winter). Its very pretty with pinkish whitish flowers and can be grown in flower beds as an ornamental flower. However the whole plant is edible - somewhere between a spring onion and a chive. It needs little or no cooking and being a tough blighter will provide fresh onion taste well into Winter. The top growth dies back under very hard frosts but comes again in the Spring.

This is Welsh Onions

Welsh Onion by British Red, on Flickr

We have prepared seed by carefully removing seed heads at the point of maturity before they are scattered by the wind

Welsh Onion Seed Heads by British Red, on Flickr

Seeds are "drummed" out into a clean food grade bucket

Gathered Welsh Onion Seed by British Red, on Flickr

Chaff is removed where possible and the seed air dried on trays

Drying Trays by British Red, on Flickr

I would like to offer some of the seed to members here.

The seed is packaged in packs of at least 200 and come with full planting and care instructions - and even a few serving suggestions :)

Seeds and Instructions by British Red, on Flickr

How much? Well, its just a packet of seeds, so no purchase price is needed. If you would like to make a small donation to cover postage and packing and our time, I'll provide my PayPal address - but if you are skint, please, don't feel obliged - its enough that other people get a chance to grow their own.

If you want some, please make a post on this thread and PM me your address. I have about ten packets available.

Red

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would love to do a little gorilla gardening at my friends wood in North Wales if you have some spare?
Very clay soil and a good mix of woodland. Would it be suitable or does it need a little more cultivation/care?

Would also plant some at home in the veg patch too :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Dwardo, once established, you can pretty much ignore them if in a damp fertile spot. For a heavy clay, I'd bung them in some three inch pots of compost in March (on a windowsill), and plant them out when germinated and a few inches tall - they should go off like a rocket after that.

Shoot me an address if you would like some!

Red

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
Hey there,

thank you for offering this. As it happens, we are starting out with a new allotment this month so this will come in very handy. Can I request a packet please, and yes please let me have your PP address for a donation.

Many thanks!
Greg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi Dwardo, once established, you can pretty much ignore them if in a damp fertile spot. For a heavy clay, I'd bung them in some three inch pots of compost in March (on a windowsill), and plant them out when germinated and a few inches tall - they should go off like a rocket after that.

Shoot me an address if you would like some!

Red

PM sent, very kind thanks,

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's five sent or reserved - five still available :)

Really pleased how many "growers" we have - I wish we could offer the mature plants we do at the gate but the postage would make it silly :(. I do a lot of different seeds and tubers though - I'll offer some up to members as they come ready.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think there are two left moocher (well one now), PM me an address and I'll pack one up for you.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I'll pinch one if there's any left let me know your paypal addy and I'll send you a few quid for postage

cheers
Matt

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last one goes to Wattsy :)

That's it for now. I may be able to get a few more packs if time permits, if so I'll re-open the thread!

Still waiting on addresses from three people - please let me have them and I'll get the seeds sent out (I'll have to buy more stamps tomorrow though - didn't think they wouold go this fast!). I have posted today all those who have let me have an address.

I hope you enjoy them guys!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
More stamps and envelopes purchased and seeds packed and despatched first class today (or yesterday for the early responders), they should arrive in the next couple or three days to everyone.

Thanks for the kind contributions for stamps, envelopes, seed packets, printing and so forth - it means I can do this with other seeds where we run to a surplus :)

I'm delighted by the number of growers we have - I'll post up any other interesting surplus items we have as they finish drying, ripening and growing

Red

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Seeds recieved,pleasure to deal with ,now just to decide whether to plant at home or the allotment :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE