Wellies?

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
In my mind its people who work in the outdoors saddle tramp - every day. In this context people who also have to walk long distances in wet conditions. Ghillies, gamekeepers, stable girls, etc. Often people on very low incomes. You may think that buying inferior products that make you uncomfortable, cold and blistered is really clever. They, and I, think you are wrong.

Often fancy kit is just that - fancy kit and it conveys no real advantage. Personally I believe that money spent on good footwear is a sensible investment - be that decent leather boots or comfortable waterproof boots for when the weather demands it. I have been convinced of this by people who are pretty damn careful with every penny because they have to be - those that work hard for little money in all weathers. Something that fits properly, doesn't blister you and make your feet hurt, has a quality sole so you don't slip over all the time, minor stuff like that. It may not matter to you - it does to others - its not about Kudos its about one of the few bits of equipment where quality really is worth paying for

Red

My granddad always used to say there are two things you should spend good money on

Your boots and your bed because if you aint in one your in the other

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
In my mind its people who work in the outdoors saddle tramp - every day. In this context people who also have to walk long distances in wet conditions. Ghillies, gamekeepers, stable girls, etc. Often people on very low incomes. You may think that buying inferior products that make you uncomfortable, cold and blistered is really clever. They, and I, think you are wrong.

Often fancy kit is just that - fancy kit and it conveys no real advantage. Personally I believe that money spent on good footwear is a sensible investment - be that decent leather boots or comfortable waterproof boots for when the weather demands it. I have been convinced of this by people who are pretty damn careful with every penny because they have to be - those that work hard for little money in all weathers. Something that fits properly, doesn't blister you and make your feet hurt, has a quality sole so you don't slip over all the time, minor stuff like that. It may not matter to you - it does to others - its not about Kudos its about one of the few bits of equipment where quality really is worth paying for

Red

Good advice. I have to be careful with my money but I've always invested in good boots/shoes and glasses no matter how tight the money is. My feet work hard and take a lot of abuse, without them I can't work. I can skimp on a lot of things but not on my boots but because I don't have a lot to spend I try to get them when they are on special offer. I can usually anticipate when I might need to replace footwear and be on the lookout for a good deal so that I can buy them in the sales and then put them away until my old boots fall off my feet.

I've been putting off buying new wellies but I'm going to buy a pair of Muck Boots because I want to be able to walk in them as well as work. I consider them to be expensive but they are probably worth the investment. I hate wellies and only wear them when I absolutely have to but if Muck Boots are as good as MajiKelly says then I might start to like them.

I'm a bit of a wellie fan having used them in one shape or form for work over the years and I thought nothing would ever beat huskvarna chainsaw boots for comfort until I bought a pair of grubs stalkers. I looked at muck boots but these are not even comparable to grubbs with their vibram sole. I use mine as I would a pair of walking boots and their performance on the hill have been unbelievable in terms of protection, warmth, comfort and fit. Grubbs really are the best wellies I've ever used.
Try them and see for yourself!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
le cham wellies for me, outlast lining and vibram sole coupled with these socks (below first link) i picked up in america they are a pretty good combo until it gets really really cold i have found everything i need in the real cold useless as they are over bulky no use to walk in and end up cold because they are full of condensation

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_812783&id=0014820811676a

Our canadian guide had a pair or sorel boots (below) and they looked pretty good, 1/2" thick felt lining he said they were great for walking and warm, i got a pair of flet lined ones not the sorel cheapo walmart ones and the felt lining was so good instead of leaving them at the camp i brought them home, liked the look of the sorels though

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=FW138&ST=2

the le cham wellies i have are like slippers, i have had them for about 8 years or so

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I had a pair of Tay Muck Boots, they were indeed comfortable and warm. Only problem is the soles are soft and wore out quickly. Not good considering the price. The ones with vibram soles should be better, but I still like the Hunter Galloway without neoprene. The neoprene just doesn’t last and tends to make my foot sweat lots in the summer. I prefer the lots of wool socks in an uninsulated boot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE