Well survived it ..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madspringer

May 17, 2014
West Yorkshire
Had my first camp camp this weekend after goen back to starting to help out with the local scouts.

Good weekend had by all especially me, back to fire lighting/building, pioneering, walking, wide games cooking etc etc ..

I really enjoyed it but realizing that my bottom is not used to somethings any more.

Took my own kit tent mats etc which have all been fine in the past bit after getting used to been in family tent with blow up beds etc, sleeping on roll mats and woolen blanket it not good.

can anyone recommend a light weight inflating mattress or similar,

Also realized i need to look out for a few more stuff for myself IE new rucksack (or second one for carrying kit for activities, ) probably a larger knife as I seemed to get them pretty intersted in the skinning of rabbits and the blade i had didn't really feel safe when chopping bones.. so recommendations appreciated.

But all in all had a good weekend and defiantly got the bug again.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of good inflatable mats out there. Thermarest are the standard, but some of the cheaper clones are good too.

Nice one on just getting out there and doing it.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Had my first camp camp this weekend.

Lol....is this the bushy equivalent of going "Out out"? ;)

Glad you had a cracking time and well done for helping out and giving something back :) Good luck with you kit upgrade, there's loads of sleeping options to choose from....maybe even think about trying a hammock :)
I've got one of these.....bit pricey but very nice and stupidly light:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showP...m_campaign=1&gclid=CLDui-ynrsECFYzHtAodWHEA9g

The only thing I'd say about knives and rabbits is.....don't cut bones, they have a habit of splintering or dinking your knife....and if you take the time to learn to prep the rabbit properly, manipulating the joints and only cutting flesh and tendons etc you won't need a bigger knife, I tend to prep with a little knife anyway. One of the other members on here showed me years ago how to butcher a rabbit perfectly well using joint manipulation and a small piece of very sharp, but a little fragile, flint :)

Hope that helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE