Trip Report Well, it felt like ages, back out though for a hang...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
...and some top quality (cheap and cheerful) grub.
After what was probably the hardest week of work and general all round grief that I can remember I was so ready for a night out in the woods!
Started packing nice and early for a change so I wouldn't be rushing... noticed it was getting dark a bit early, looked at a clock, then realised that my watch was wrong by an hour and a half! Sigh...
So I walked in in the increasing gloom, missed the gap in the trees I go in by thanks to the changed landscape from some forestry maintainance and the gathering dark but finally found my spot, set up in complete darkness so was glad I had a bit of light and set about getting a fire going. No rain had been forecast but I left the hammock for later and with a raised tarp actually made a huge space for little me, which was good as the drizzle arrived... Still, work to be done!
831e0b5b313b14c0be80ca5db738842b.jpg

One dead standing little pine later I had by favourite upside down fire ready to go but the dampness kept the fire from really leaping into life. The fire was big enough to throw of some heat but I could actually cook on top of the logs with the fire coming from between them and it was ideal! Corned beef hash has never, ever tasted so good. Proof (as if any more were needed) that frying stuff in butter just makes it better :)
f70b1bf572dea7044c7fa6ae9ca7a75f.jpg

Before long though my need to sleep after a long, long week took over and the hammock snaked its way out of the rocket pouch onto the two trees, underquilt clipped on and bag went in. My christmas present of inflatable pillow topped it off beautifully for a seriously good sleep and several hours later I was ready for the day ahead.

Spam and potato cakes fried in butter? That hit the spot like it was laser guided! I also treated myself to an Aeropress coffee. I know there are many ways to make coffee in the wild but I love my Aeropress at home and it's fairly small, tough and light, so why not? It will not be the last time, such a smooth brew... Anyhow, it was soon time to pack up and come back to find out that friends were just starting "exciting" weeks of their own, yay! (shakes head and is simply grateful that it isn't him this week).
d36e31a581e62507e4874de52215e6b6.jpg

57609dd3024e15f30d51ea1aff928b6c.jpg

I'll add some pictures in a minute (I find it so much easier to edit a post in Tapatalk on my phone to drop pictures in) but if you want the full colour, Hi Def (occassionally gloomy) version and really have nothing better to do? Click the link and come along...

Last edited:

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Way to go.......and total annihilation of SPAM !!!
I know, 45 and I've only just discovered Spam! What a discovery though, lol. Not sure frying it in butter makes my mission of getting a little less unfit in the coming year more or less achievable though ;)

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Nice trip, but i too am more interested in that spam, looks good !
I spent last night miserably munching on a vegetable curry MRE (well, half of it anyway :sick: ), really need to start taking proper food.

Whats the orange thing hanging from the tarp in the first pic?. Looks like a light of some sorts, but its oddly shaped. (edit-Never mind, just noticed the video at the bottom)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Spamtastic! ...ok that was bad..... I'll um get me poncho. I would not worry too much about the calorific value, if your hiking and humping load as I'm sure you know your burn it!

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Brilliant report, I’m also a spam lover- lidl do a tin of chopped pork n ham aswell for half the price! What frying pan is that? Is it a full size job rather than a folding camp type?

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Nice trip, but i too am more interested in that spam, looks good !
I spent last night miserably munching on a vegetable curry MRE (well, half of it anyway :sick: ), really need to start taking proper food.

Whats the orange thing hanging from the tarp in the first pic?. Looks like a light of some sorts, but its oddly shaped. (edit-Never mind, just noticed the video at the bottom)
Thanks! It's a Suaoki solar clover lantern. Folds up somewhat, it's partly folded in the picture, is properly bright on full power so doesn't make pictures/filming all wavy and genuinely seems to charge up. Few days on a windowsill in the middle of winter and it's charged back up so definitely tops itself up. Got it for Christmas, charged it up once and have just left it out. Quite like it. And yes, proper food does make all the difference :)

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Spamtastic! ...ok that was bad..... I'll um get me poncho. I would not worry too much about the calorific value, if your hiking and humping load as I'm sure you know your burn it!
Thank you :) It's only a 20 minute walk, but I take enough surplus rubbish to hopefully make the difference. And if not? I'll live with it :)

Last edited:

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Brilliant report, I’m also a spam lover- lidl do a tin of chopped pork n ham aswell for half the price! What frying pan is that? Is it a full size job rather than a folding camp type?
Thank you very much! Yep, it's a full sized plain steel one. Fairly thin so isn't that heavy, I just stick it on the outside of the pack in a bag and have done. Once seasoned, like a cast iron thing, it's pretty good for cooking in, even on the Trangia mini or twig stove. A proper campfire has enough heat to cover the pan but I think a gas stove would be too intense and localised for it.
In fact, it's this one from Military Mart, for £7.50 I didn't think I could go far wrong and maybe 18 months later and using it at school, home and camping, I'm happy! Not the best pan I have, but it works fine. http://www.militarymart.co.uk/26-cm-iron-frying-pan/ No affiliation etc.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely in need of trip out at the moment and this is just what I need, Spam is a bonus! :spam2:goodjob

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely in need of trip out at the moment and this is just what I need, Spam is a bonus! :spam2:goodjob
Get it done Modchop! Like everyone I have family and commitments but fortunately, my wife knows I'll be a much more relaxed and happy husband/dad if I get out occasionally. Then it's just up to me to pull my finger out. Trying to do my one a month target again this year. Missed it last year but still got 9 camps I wouldn't have otherwise.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Hi Chris, what is the inflatable lantern that you use please?
Hang on, I have it right here! It's a luminAID PackLite Nova. I really like it, great light, not painfully bright but really useful and genuinely seems to charge itself. 9am right now and inside the tarp tent on a foggy morning it already claims to be charging itself. Going to stick it on the windowsill again at home and see how long it takes to regain the apparently half empty battery. Only charges via solar but they do others that you can plug in, I'll guess they are inherently less waterproof though.
86871968ab89ea62104332905a2f15d0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: stevec

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE