Weird useful parts of animals?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Stuck in traffic on my way to climbing tonight I was mulling some questions over in my head...

I like to think that when I bag a beasty I respect it by using as much of it as possible... skin, fur, feathers, meat, tusks, teeth...

Other than the obvious, such as leather from cows and fur from bunnies, food from the meat of loads of animals, flutes from the bones... what have you used or heard being used and what for?

Joe

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A bullls scrotum would make an interesting Possibles Pouch don't you think? Has been done. Can't remember where I saw it though.:eek:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I recall that every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide. not sure how much truth is in this...

...and BLAMO!!! first post is genital related... nice!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess you could keep your SAK and FAK in the bulls ex SACK :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well as you say - brains for tanning, intestines for sausage casing, sinew for binding, hooves for glue, part digested stomach contents for food, fat for soap, bladders for balls, stomachs for bags etc.

Red

There are so many:

fish liver oil for lighting in a lamp. Feathers for painting and writing (goose feathers really work!), bird wing and rabit foot for brushes, cow horns for containers (and drinking cups) rodents teeth for shaving wood, donkey's jaws for musical instruments (rattle).

Cows and sheeps bladders for bags, for tightly closing containers or making drums,

Fish bladders fro clarifying beer and wine or thikening soups...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was taking part in an improvisation lesson whilst in the army, The REME SSgt who was instructing, told us a story of a South African guy who bottomed his vehicle on a rock, while out in the sticks, rupturing the engine sump.
He got his rifle out and shot a Gazelle, skinned it and used the skin to make a temp repair to the sump then he used the animal fat as oil to replace the engine oil he had lost.
He then travelled over 30 miles back to his homestead.

M

Mouldsy

I have seen a deer's jaw bone used for a wood saw on a course I was on it worked pretty well
Rgds Davy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE