Weird tool - what's it for?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
how about this for a wild guess...............

used by the water board.......the hooky bit is for prising the little hinged metal covers off the main stop cock in the street and the square end is the key to turn the water valve off ( using the wooden shaft to turn / twist it )

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I'd use it to clean out mortices when timber framing but never seen anything like it before! Would be surprised if it was meant to be sharp on the back as there'd be a lot of flex there.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm agreeing with Bundleman a bit here, looks like something you'd rake the back of a deep mortice out with, perhaps like a swaneck chisel when morticing a lock into the endgrain of the middle rail of a 4 panalled door?

Haven't seen any tool like that when I used to be in the Fire Brigade and the tols used for pulling burning thatch off roof was called a rake, nothing too fancy really.

I await a more positive answer.

Interesting find though Mike

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
how about this for a wild guess...............

used by the water board.......the hooky bit is for prising the little hinged metal covers off the main stop cock in the street and the square end is the key to turn the water valve off ( using the wooden shaft to turn / twist it )

That square end is indeed very square.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's a paviors' hammer, used for laying paving stones and sets.

See pages 24/25 of the Ken Hawley Experiance by Derek Bateson about the tools held at the Kelham Island Museum in Shef'

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE