Weird squirrel

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Last night I went out for a walk and a bit of geocaching with the missus. We were looking for one on top of some old slag heaps and iron works near Blaenavon, really nice location now the wildlife is taking back over. However it's still pretty barren up there, plenty of heather and thistles all kept low by sheep grazing but it's all low shrubs like that and no trees for miles.

We found the cache and while we were sat there a squirrel ran past. I've been trying to work out what he was doing up there, theres plenty of beech, hazel and oak trees in patches around the area but he was miles away from any of them and out in the open in an area full of birds of prey. I can only think he was moving between areas or maybe a young animal trying to find it's own terratory. Anyone got any ideas?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Maybe the squirrel was caching stuff himself. They'll probably be statring to cache stuff for winter about now...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Anyone got any ideas?

Could it have been a super-caffinated* squirrel?
We had one explode out of a drum of powdered drinking chocolate last week. It was last seen heading west at a great rate of knots :yikes: ;)

* Definately ca-FIEND

Sorry

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It is that time of year when the young males are now quite mature and go looking for new territory or turf out the older squirrels who can't hang on to theirs.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of trees a bit lower down in that area. probably came up from there.

Is Blaenavon your usual part of the world, Dave, or just a special trip. I'm just a bit further south, at Pontypool, but often get up that way. There's a few good spots once you get off the obvious tracks.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
We moved up to Blaina fairly recently so we're quite new to the area. Geocaching is prooving to be a good way to explore actually.I do a lot of work up this way though, it's amazing the places you find tucked away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE