Weekend "skills" Pic heavy..

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
My son decided that we should try and learn/practice skills each weekend, so we're trying to keep to it overthe next few weeks....

So on Saturday, we had a go at the next bit of the knife he had been making.

knife2-2.jpg

Heating up the blade to non-magnetic

knife3.jpg

Oil bath for blade, I missed the burst of flame as it went in...

knife5.jpg

After the oil, next its to get cleaned and into the oven...

knife4.jpg

I was also wanting to have a go at making a knife from a bit of spring, I'd seen a bit of a demo at the Comrie Croft Skills weekend...

knife6.jpg

More hammering...

knife7.jpg

Its wound up being about 3mm thick, and is getting ground out more with files and a wheel, but I'm happy so far with it...

Meanwhile Jack had a shot at cone firelighters taken from a thread that he saw on here of Waylands..
pinecone2.jpg

pinecone3.jpg

pinecone4.jpg

We also had time for lunch and some tea, he's planning next weekend now...

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
looking very good mate!

was that the skills weekend I was smithing at? If so I am very glad you had a go from what you saw! :D

looks like a cracking little knife on both accounts!

All the best

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great post John

I'm interested in hearing some more about the forge if you care to divulge your secrets :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for the replies, it was a good day, its possibly making fire and laying a fire that we'll try this weekend, then we can get a kettle on again...
Andy, it was watching you guys that made me want to have a go, I think i need to work on the arm muscles after 5 mins belting away with the hammer...

The forge is an old gas bottle and some scaffolding pole welded together, with a bit of metal in the base with hole drilled in. I sink it onto the earth a bit and theres an old hair dryer on the end. I have used a foot pump, but this is much easier, I do plan to try making a bellows set, similar to one I say in a Dave Budd picture...

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
great stuff john! - if there is another skill share later in the year come and grab me and you can have a bash with my stuff.
I love teaching people smithing! it's not as hard as it looks!

My teacher would say - "you lift the hammer and don't you worry 'cos gravity'll do the rest!"

looks like you have a really good set up!

All the best
Andy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
This weekend we had a go at charcloth and charcoal making. Jack also had a go at some tripod tying and more firelighting and making the tea this time.

char1.jpg

We'd cut up and old teatowel (cotton) and also put a handful of willow twigs into a syrup tin, this went into the fire..

char2.jpg

We burned off the gas as this gave a better idea of when it was lessening...
Once the smoke started coming out the small hole a the top, Jack made up some mud/clay.

char3.jpg

Once the outgassing stopped, the mud got slapped on and it was off the heat till cold

The cloth and sticks were fine, Jack had a go with the charcoal for some drawing... and I had a go at seeing if the cloth took a spark
char4.jpg

char5.jpg

fileknife1.jpg

I also started cutting out a fileknife using an old file that we'd had in the brazier to soften down.. more a longer term project..

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
sat01.jpg

Jack was getting going with the handle of his knife this weekend, taping the blade...

sat02.jpg

Getting the mircarta scales together. We were using gorilla glue, never tried it before, seems ok so far...

He's planning to cut/rasp/sand away at it over the next week, homework permitting...

sat03.jpg

I got the next bit of my knife done, adding a handle to an old firesteel, and making an awl to add to the sheath.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
This weekend, Jack got his knife finished and had a go using it, he's planning to have a go at the sheath next time.

jack_knife1a.jpg

jack_knife1b.jpg

jack_knife1.jpg

I also had a go at refurbing an old saw I'd bought, with some tips from Peter_t (thank you again)... Looking out for files to use...

saw1-1.jpg

saw2-1.jpg

We went up to see Mary (Toddy) at Holyrood Park, and had a great time at the event there. I *almost* got a fire going from my ember using her bowset,

maryatpark.jpg

marybowdrill.jpg

joeatpark1.jpg

joeatpark2.jpg

but in the end Joe got a fire going... Great fun and some nice weather for the weekend as well.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd got a striker from Silverhill Forge, and was keen to try it out.. as was Jack, so he had most of the shots with it, later on Joe lit the afternoon fire for tea, but this was Jack earlier..

flint1.jpg

flint2.jpg

flint3.jpg

flint4.jpg

Also did a bit more on a file knife....

fileknife5.jpg

So far its been going pretty well, Joe hopes to camp out later on "when it gets colder"....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE