Weekend intro bushcraft course......HELP.....which one???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey all

I know this has been done to death so apologies from the start but a new thread with new OPINIONS is always a good thing (I think)!!

I'm new to bushcraft and therefore looking for a good weekend introductory course that will give a decent foundation before going out to practice and then onto a week course??

There are loads of schools all over the country and that's where the confusion starts. I have read loads of threads recommending certain schools (I think 3 standout) but wanted to get a new general OPINION of the best place to book?

Woodlore - I originally looked at the obvious Woodlore but on reading a couple of reviews I'm not particularly impressed with the content, especially as they are the most expensive but hey its Woodlore lmao.

Woodland Ways - They have some some superb reviews and on watching the promo video they seem to give a better foundation and to be more informative than Woodlore (oops). Ooh I like the fact they get you to prepare game as well. Yes, I know its a promo that's what its supposed to do lol.

Backwoods - Superb reviews again but a long long way, don't mind the journey if the course is right.

Is there any fundamental differences on how these courses are run or are certain schools geared more towards a particular market i.e corporate team building etc? As Im looking for the real deal, I'm sure everyone is.

Is there anyone that does one on one courses etc? What sort of cost is involved?

I live in the midlands (Brum, not all of it is a ####hole lol) but will travel anywhere.

Cheers in advance
Kev

Hope I don't upset the mods with this one lol!

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have a look at Frontier Bushcrafts' Essential Bushcraft course

Not been on any of their course but I've been taught by Paul Kirtley when he was at Woodlore and afterwards when he went solo and can't recommend him enough. You won't regret spending a weekend with him :)

You can also book him for one to one private instruction as well, just drop him an email telling him what you want and take it from there.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Best of luck with that mate!! I too have been looking for months but am yet to decide!!
Although frontier does look good and Paul kurkley gets great reviews!!
When are you thinking if going?
I'm gonna ask for a course for my birthday!!
All the best
Steve

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I've done a handful of courses this year not too far from the Midlands, would through experience recommend Trueways (running survival courses in Gloucester) / NaturesCraft (running bushcraft courses in Savanake Forest Swindon)/ ForestBushcraft (running bushcraft courses in Forest of Dean). Have also come across British bushcraft School running courses nearer the Midlands but not tried them as yet

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

I think I'm going to go with Frontier initially (I did look at Frontier first and was pretty impressed just forgot to add them to my list). It may all depend on who has spaces available when I'm off shift though lol. I know if I go with any of the aforementioned I will have a great experience as they all have cracking reputations.

Thanks again.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
i think this is a very good choice. Pauls web site alone has been an inspiration to me and although i have not actually been on one of their courses he has been impressively knowledgable in his helpfull and kind advice to people on the sites' comments section. i'm sure you will learn alot and he seems to have an attitude of genuine deep feeling for his subject. i like that alot.

Have a look at Frontier Bushcrafts' Essential Bushcraft course

Not been on any of their course but I've been taught by Paul Kirtley when he was at Woodlore and afterwards when he went solo and can't recommend him enough. You won't regret spending a weekend with him :)

You can also book him for one to one private instruction as well, just drop him an email telling him what you want and take it from there.

Seconded. PK is a top bloke.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Backwoods survival....fantastic team, that really make you feel its real, useful and doable . We traveled from York's and were that chuffed , we're going again next week and again near the year end.
They are as I say, av true 'team' that graft together, in turn helping you to graft together. The humor is great aswell, but you have to work for it :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE