weekend camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Mercury, contry to populate belief a hootchie or basha can be put up any way you want. The classiC style (which is copied off the army btw) is ok if your only after a roof but the lean too style (in the picture) allows you to block the wind, reflect your fires heat down upon yourself (and so is doubly warmer) and by just stringing up one guy on the top most edge also means it needs less cordage too!

hootchie_015.jpg

As with all things in the craft - theres more than one way to do it and the most popular way doesn't always mean its the best way. :wink:

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
More of a fan of the "suspended at 4 corners with bungees" myself

Yours and oppos bergans down one side for a wind break and quick bug out if need be , can be a bit chilly but with me green maggot and dos bag I'll be okay :naughty:

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
120DSCI0007-med.JPG

This is our camp from a few weeks ago, I prefer my Basha "lean to" style too.
I think its much easier this way. Just don't set it up with the wind coming from behind as it then loops over the top and drags all the smoke from your fire straight under your Basha. The best method is to set up with the wind direction along the length of the lean to.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Bungees and bug outs - ahhhhhhhhhh sweet memoirs!! Do you still find bungee trees in the woods too?

And yes Martin the wind trick is a good one and the same with shelter building using natural materials - it also helps keep the bugs at bay. HOWEVER if the wind is cold, wet or strong I like to angle my sheet off at an angle, a bit like a sail cutting the wind and braking its force - but to be honest this usually isnt a problem in woodland where the breeze disepates among the trees.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Gary said:
Mercury, contry to populate belief a hootchie or basha can be put up any way you want. The classic TMN man style (which is copied off the army btw) is ok if your only after a roof but the lean too style (in the picture) allows you to block the wind, reflect your fires heat down upon yourself (and so is doubly warmer) and by just stringing up one guy on the top most edge also means it needs less cordage too!

As with all things in the craft - theres more than one way to do it and the most popular way doesn't always mean its the best way. :wink:

Whats TMN? am I missing something here? or just being dumb?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I'm guessing of course, but with recent treats of legal action and certain overpricing of some goods, an aggressive marketing, sponsorship, endorsement, pressure applied on small bassnesses way of going about life, I don't think its complementary, but I am only guessing.

jakunen

Native
steve a said:
I'm guessing of course, but with recent treats of legal action and certain overpricing of some goods, an aggressive marketing, sponsorship, endorsement, pressure applied on small bassnesses way of going about life, I don't think its complementary, but I am only guessing.

Ok, am I the only one totally confussed?!?!? :-?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
It wasn't a typo it was a reference to someone with a trade marked name who threated to sue me if I used it without their permission.

However to avoid confusion I will no longer speak with forked tongue and will will just use the name, after all as long as I speak with straight tongue I'm legally in the clear anyway.

AND BEFORE YOU ALL ASK WHO IT IS - forget it I dont want to highlight the petty squabbles that go on within the industry as this would only do us all, big and small, harm.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
No need to name names Gary, I think everyone Knows who you are talking about. :wink: Don't want any litigation going on, but on the other hand both you and I could throw up a few older books whose contents seem to have been reproduced by TMN without any reference to the fact in the bibliography. Hay Ho s'pose barristers are cheap if you can afford them.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003

Be Careful Guys you are treading very close to the line of what is expectable in this public forum, I think its best to go back to discussing the pros and cons of different tarp arrangements

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE