Weed Control (large scale)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I somehow volunteered to help keep some weeds at bay in a 30 bay car park that has grassy boarders Ivy all over the walls and what turns out to be Knotweed to make my life easier!

Now I have never done anything like this before, and would like some tips! It looks like strimmer will be the quickest clear up of the grassy boarders. Pulling the knotweed out was easy enough. I have been told cutting the Ivy at the base and leaving it to die then pulling it off the wall once dead will be easiest.

Now when should I weed killer? after the strimmering or before?

What sort of frequency should I have a bash at this? I don't have a huge amount of time to do this, but I reckon a big push out a couple of days will break its back, then maintenance there after is the advice I need.

Oh ay and any other tips are much appreciated!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Be very very careful as to how you dispose of the knotweed or you'll be in deep trouble.

It has to be done at an approved waste disposal site.

There's a lot of other regulations regarding it so I suggest you check out the Environmental Agency site and read up about it.

As for weedkiller, a few days after strimming would be better when you get some fresh growth starting to come through.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've done a bit of weed cleareance on a voluntary basis, almost entirely in fairly sensitive areas used by kids, dogs etc., where the people were very wary of any kind of chemical application; I was advised by a friend who has done a lot of this work to hire a propane burner , which I did. I spent a time with the strimmer, slasher and 'hooks as neccessary, then spent a good day with the burner and it worked extremely well for me.

Of course, once this has been done there needs to be some kind of on-going maintenance schedule, but this method had immediate and dramatic (to the observer) effect. Hope this helps,..............atb mac

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have a potentially large issue with the knotweed (you are sure that its knotweed?) Best place to start with that one is the EA website

http://www.environment-agency.gov.u....aspx#What_to_do_if_you_see_Japanese_knotweed

You must not remove any knotweed from site other than through a licensed waste carrier.

With Ivy, cut to ground level and apply glyphosate on new growth - repeatedly.

With the grassy borders spray with something like "Transfer" which leaves the grass but kills broadleaf weeds. A weedkiller with anti germinant is better for the car park itself (a generic of the Pathclear type)

http://www.headland-ag.co.uk/presstech/179363898-1531142352011.pdf

You may well need an NPTC certificate to do this in a public place

Generally better to weedkiller and leave the plants to absorb it before strimming or brushcutting, but you can strim and then let the new growth spring back prior to using a weedkiller if needed.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
You must inform the authorities if there is Knotweed, nasty stuff, it's actually an offence to sell a house without informing prospective buyers of the, if it is Knotweed it's unlikely you will have got rid of it, as for the Ivy, if you don't want to use chemicals cover the stump with salt or **** on it regularly.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Salt is a brilliant weedkiller, no problem for people or pets. I normally use winter de-icing salt, sometimes I just sprinkle it on the drive or mix up a solution with the salt, vinegar, washing up liquid (helps it stick to the plants) and water. Make sure you don't get it on anything you want to survive!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
A mate of mine got a back-mounted weed spray jobby...and filled it with petrol..resulting in 8 foot jets of flame, that could be a more fun way of doing it?!

.....sorry I'm not taking this very seriously...

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Right I'm all over this with my research!

NPTC training is only £160
The car park is not near any water courses so nastier than usual weed killers can be used for the winter to treat the earth.
I have bought a back pack sprayer to spray industrial round up through the summer months
Cutting the stems near the base is the best way to remove plants
Burning on-site will be my cheapest means of disposal
The bit where the knot weed is, would be an excellent spot for a salt bin for the car park (great idea guys)

The Ivy is a work in progress!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Invest in high quality PPE and use it when ever you're using these chemicals - they are far more dangerous than publicly acknowledged

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE