Website for translating cuts of meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
'Bottom Round Roast' OK with you?

Sweetbreads, you want the ones from the neck area, or the ones hanging at the back?
Or the one inside middle of the bovine? Inside further back of a cow? Or close to the ear? Or beside/under the tongue?

:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have not cooked a whole roast 'anything' in 20+ years, bison included.
Every one of them gets cut up and grilled on stainless steel rods.
Some bone-in things like a leg of lamb and all sorts of birds but that's it.

I have 2 beef hearts to stuff, I'll give them an overcoat of bacon strips, really fatty stuff.
Maybe baste with fat and roll in espresso coffee first.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
K-B found something pretty good for major language differences, was a lot of work, I'll bet.

Maybe the way to start for a single language is to use an Angus Beef cutting chart (Google Images).
Then, all kinds of equivalent local names get written on the chart beside what's there already.
Beef words all get used for bison = nearest neighbor kind of thing.
Local extremes that never make the cook book generalities are left out in the cold.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Or you can do like they do in Jamaica or other Caribbean countries:
You take a cleaver, and chop it all up in small pieces. Then cook.
They do not fuss with cuts. Strangely, it works. but I hate getting bits of crushed bone in my mouth.'

But, a sizeable % of my income is generated by that! :)

Every country have some country, even area, specific cuts.

Anybody of you sliced Beef fillet lengthwise, with the fibers?

An old southern Moravian or North western Hungarian way.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nope. Cross cut into skinny strips.
Fried with a spice mix, garnish with pepper and onion strips = fajita filling.
5 minute meal.
I've been using neolithic flint blades to cut the meat. Better than any steel. Amazing.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I was recently in France visiting my brother, we went out for a meal but they only did pizza and faux-fillet. Me and my mother don't really like melted cheese so we opted for the faux-fillet expecting something burger like, turned out to be sirloin and very nice it was too

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
LOL. You realize I still don’t know what cuts they are?

Okay....a gigot chop is a big slice of the middle of the leg. Usually it's pork, but lamb is popular if an awful lot smaller. Pronounced Jigot, (well really it's jig't..there's a glotal stop in the vernacular :) ) it's a Scottish-French word.
Himself likes it with the bone out and the meat pan fried, then poached for a wee bit to cook soft. He does not like his meat at all pink, he likes it well cooked. If it looks raw, he'll not eat it. I usually add mushrooms and black pepper to the pan and reduce the jus down since the man doesn't like gravy either.
My Dad liked his gigot chops fried and served with a fried egg and left over potatoes browned in the same pan.
Everybody likes it differently. My brother likes his in a roll, with brown sauce.
https://www.scottbrothersbutchers.co.uk/product/lamb-gigot-chops-9oz-250g-each-pack-of-2/

Popeseye steak is a quick cook steak, meaty and but quite lean, thin and tender. It's cheaper than sirloin, and rump, but tastier than either. It sits inside the aitch bone of the beast.
I think I'm just going to find links to butchers and put them in this post, Santaman2000. Probably easier than me trying to describe the actual cut for you. Anyway, popeseye steak is like this
https://www.mccaskiebutcher.co.uk/popeseye-steak

Bavette is flank steak. It's long and flat. Cooks easily, it's not an expensive cut, indeed it's sometimes called the Butcher's Cut since it's the one he takes home himself for his dinner, but it's not tough, it's finely marbled and very flavourful. Cook it hot, and quickly, and it'll be just right.
https://www.buyacow.uk/bavette-steak/

Onglette/ onglet is another everyday cut of meat. Not expensive treats, just dinner making stuff. It's the 'hanger' steak, from the soft ribs. Sometimes has a sort of tendony line down the middle, but even that's not tough. It's a firmer steak than the bavette. Stronger tasting than the rest.
https://www.campbellsmeat.com/product/scotch-beef-hanger-steak.html

Sorry, forgot a link to the gigot chops, added now.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Okay....a gigot chop is a big slice of the middle of the leg. Usually it's pork, but lamb is popular if an awful lot smaller. Pronounced Jigot, (well really it's jig't..there's a glotal stop in the vernacular :) ) it's a Scottish-French word.
Himself likes it with the bone out and the meat pan fried, then poached for a wee bit to cook soft. He does not like his meat at all pink, he likes it well cooked. If it looks raw, he'll not eat it. I usually add mushrooms and black pepper to the pan and reduce the jus down since the man doesn't like gravy either.
My Dad liked his gigot chops fried and served with a fried egg and left over potatoes browned in the same pan.
Everybody likes it differently. My brother likes his in a roll, with brown sauce.

Popeseye steak is a quick cook steak, meaty and but quite lean, thin and tender. It's cheaper than sirloin, and rump, but tastier than either. It sits inside the aitch bone of the beast.
I think I'm just going to find links to butchers and put them in this post, Santaman2000. Probably easier than me trying to describe the actual cut for you. Anyway, popeseye steak is like this
https://www.mccaskiebutcher.co.uk/popeseye-steak

Bavette is flank steak. It's long and flat. Cooks easily, it's not an expensive cut, indeed it's sometimes called the Butcher's Cut since it's the one he takes home himself for his dinner, but it's not tough, it's finely marbled and very flavourful. Cook it hot, and quickly, and it'll be just right.
https://www.buyacow.uk/bavette-steak/

Onglette/ onglet is another everyday cut of meat. Not expensive treats, just dinner making stuff. It's the 'hanger' steak, from the soft ribs. Sometimes has a sort of tendony line down the middle, but even that's not tough. It's a firmer steak than the bavette. Stronger tasting than the rest.
https://www.campbellsmeat.com/product/scotch-beef-hanger-steak.html
Thanks. Those beef cuts sound like some we have here, just different names. It seems to popeseye is similar to our round steak (often beaten, floured, and fried here) and the flank steak was once called “buthcher’s steak here as well.

That gigot sounds great.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought round steak was one that took a fair bit of cooking; slowly ?
Oh well, we live and learn :D
It can be done that way also. The “chicken fried steak” is mainly a Southern thing. Specifically originating in Texas from the German immigrants version of schnitzel.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Seeing that link to the gigot chops is informative. I’ve seen (and bought those here as well. They’re just called lamb steaks her. Very god but quite pricey here. I’ve usually cooked them by sautéing them in oil or butter but occasionally I’ve smoked them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK, the way around this is we choose one reference source (a UK based one of course as we are speaking English) and all agree to adopt those terms forevermore (even the Scots) - I'm sure that will work :)
:D I don’t really mind the differing terminology as long as we have a way to translate it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE