Weather/Meteorology....and all that

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
OK, weather: we can talk about it 'til the cows come home (or lie down) but I would like to know a bit about weather prediction.

Are there any dead simple books out there that describe isobars, pressure fronts, signs of weather, how to read a weather chart, etc.

I tried reading the met bit of the UASF Search & Rescue Survival Book and, frankly, am none the wiser.

So, any no-bulls**t user-friendly books out there?

Cheers,

Mike :z:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Collins Gem do a good little pocket guide. ISBN: 0004722728. Its basicly divided into 4 chapters: cloud types, optical phenomena, precipitation and wind. Of course the size makes it easy to slip into your pocket anytime you are going out.

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I like "The Rough Guide to Weather" by Robert Henson. ISBN: 1-85828-827-4

It's about 400 pages, with the meaty stuff at the beginning with "weather around the world" taking the other half.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
There is some weather stuff in yachtsman's handbooks and RYA stuff. Meteo is part of the syllabus for the yachtsmaster exams - to the extent that you'll be able to draw up a synoptic chart from the met office weather forecast on radio 4.

I noticed that microlite and hang glider pilot training starts with classroom sessions on meteorology too.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE