That sinking feeling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A gentle weekend sailing trip in November. What could possibly go wrong?

We anchored up on Saturday night just off the Hoo peninsula. Danny and Em in the cabin at the front of the boat, Louise and I on the two couch beds in the back.

The weather was calm but a bit wet. By 0600, after a few sleepless hours of listening to the sound of rain drops on the roof of the boat, I decided to get up and make a cup of tea.

Standing in the galley I put the kettle on the stove, and struck a match. I'm not sure exactly what happened at this point, because the next thing I remember is laying on the deck, in smoke and debris of an explosion. My crew mates were busy, trying to sort out what to do next. I could hear Em making a Mayday call on the radio while Louise readied the tender. As fire rapidly took hold across the boat, we didn't have time to grab much -- just a bug-out bag from the rear deck.

The other three helped me into the tender, and then climbed in themselves. This wasn't easy, the tender was small, and I was crying out in pain at the burns across my face and arm.

Shore wasn't far away -- maybe 25 yards -- so didn't take long. We landed somewhere on the north coast of Kent. Although it was still pitch black, Danny said he could see lights in the distance. In my state there was no way I would make it to the lights, so we agreed Louise would take me to shelter -- there were some ruined building near the shore -- while Em and Danny would go get help.

There wasn't much shelter in the buildings: None of them had a roof, or even a floor, just a foot of dirty water and a lot of brambles. The best we could manage was to get out of the wind, in the shelter of a berm. We raided the bug-out bag. It didn't have much of use, only a camping mat, which Louise put underneath me, and a poncho, which she put on the top to try and keep in some warmth.

In pain, and drifting in and out of consciousness, I lay there.

The next thing I heard was footsteps and a guy in an orange jacket appearing in front of me. A shake, some words. I rose up through the fog. Where am I? What's happened? I managed to get out the word "Cold" before drifting off once more.

A flurry of activity as the orange angels got to work. My poncho was replaced with some much more effective space blankets, and somebody surveyed my injuries, checked my pulse and other vitals. I remember hearing snippets of a radio message calling for an ambulance and help to evacuate a casualty. Me.

My next conscious period lasted longer than the previous few. "Where does it hurt?" asked the guy in orange. "My neck". Suddenly the approach to treatment changed, and a flurry of radio messages called in extra equipment.

My feet were numb, I was shivering, my face hurt, my neck hurt. My arm didn't. As they moved my arm to roll me onto my back I caught sight of the black singed remains of my skin. Why didn't it hurt. Why did my face hurt?

I drifted off again.

When next I regained consciousness I was tilted at an angle, but held firmly on all sides as something cold and metallic was slid under me, then tilted the other way as another matching item was slid in, followed by the metallic click of catches flipping into place.

I flew up into the air, before being lowered gently into something. I could feel the edges of it against my arms. Straps were fitted along with a collar round my neck. I'd stopped shivering now, I was so cold. But I couldn't move, even if I wanted to, fastened firmly but safely into a basket stretcher. There was a count and I took off. Watching the featureless grey sky rotate above me, as the orange jacketed stretcher bearers explained they were taking me to a helicopter that would take me to the hospital. I was cold, but the thought of a helicopter filled me with hope. Maybe I would make it through the day.

Something wasn't right though. If there was a helicopter, why couldn't I hear it? Was I disorientated? Was my hearing failing me? Or was this a Nissan pick-up I was being slid into?

The straps were loosened, and the collar removed, a hand reached for mine and lifted me to the sitting position.

"You OK?"

"Cold"

"ENDEX, you can climb out of there and warm up in the cab"

"Cheers"

----
If you don't remember reading about a serious boating accident off Kent last weekend, it's because it was only an exercise by my local Lowland Rescue team (you know, like Mountain Rescue but without the mountains).
They had appealed on Twitter for bodies for an exercise, and I volunteered.

I arrived bright and early, not sure what to expect. Friendly people from the Lowland Rescue team, the Police and Fire & rescue greeted me and thanked me for coming, before I sat down and received some casualty simulation make-up. Burns was apparently my part for the day. Coupled with some diabetes just to liven up the first aid. If you want to see the gruesome and frankly brilliant injury make up, have a look at this link. You have been warned.

http://photos.quixotic.eu/misc/facialburns01.jpg

Playing the part of a relatively ill equipped sailor who had been the victim of an accident, I lay on an insulated matt, in just a base layer and thin trousers, with a poncho over the top to keep the worst out. In case of a genuine emergency, next to me sat my backpack with a sleeping bag and bivi bag in it, and also a SOLAS whistle in the pack. Have to keep to the scenario though.

I lay there, curled up under the poncho getting colder and colder for what felt like ages, but was in reality only 2 hours. Eventually after what felt like an eternity the SAR crew turned up and got to work with my safe evacuation to medical attention.

The whole experience was an enlightening one. Unless you happen to have an unfortunate accident on a hillside or in the woods, you generally won't experience the machine that is a Lowland/Mountain Rescue team, and you don't experience the care, thought, and effort that goes into getting us home. I was laying on top of a berm, surrounded by the evidence of a recent herd of cows, on a bleak, windswept salt marsh on a foggy Sunday Morning. These guys came there to rescue me.

I am a strong supporter of the work that volunteer Lowland/Mountain Rescue teams perform in the UK. I'm not very well off so can't support them with cash, nor do I have the skills or personality to be able to contribute as a volunteer. So the least I can do to help is by doing something I am very good at: Getting lost.

I left the marsh today with mild hypothermia (my own stupid fault), and a very fetching burns make-up to my face and arm. Hopefully the training and experience that everyone went through today means that when it happens for real, someone else might make it to the hospital alive.

Julia

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I thought you were a 'gonna for a minute! Very interesting and I'm glad to hear it was only an excercise. I agree too, the rescue teams should be supported :).

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Crikey I thought you had got shipwrecked without me (not via the North sea this time).
Well done for volunteering, the weather was not good that weekend.
Did you drive home with a face like that? must have frightened all the motorists.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I thought you were a 'gonna for a minute! Very interesting and I'm glad to hear it was only an excercise. I agree too, the rescue teams should be supported :).

When I posted the picture of the burns up on twitter, I got several messages from very concerned friends who thought it was real and were wondering if I was ok...

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Crikey I thought you had got shipwrecked without me (not via the North sea this time).
Well done for volunteering, the weather was not good that weekend.
Did you drive home with a face like that? must have frightened all the motorists.

No, I took it off, it took a large pile of baby wipes to remove it fully, and I still had bits of burn makeup on my hand days after, that stuff doesn't want to come off...

Last year I was a body for another exercise and had cas sim for a head injury, that one I didn't take off, and went straight to a beer festival afterwards... a most interesting reaction...

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit that the charities that I'll always give to or at least pop something in their tin when they rattle it are Poppies, Help for Heros, Mountain Rescue, Cave Rescue and the Lifeboats.
All of them selflessly put themselves in harms way to help us out.
So good on you for volunteering, it's always good to hear of other ways that we can help these folk out. One of the ways I tried was opening the shop early on Sundays so the local Mountain Rescue team could use it as a base for their training exercises. Makes a difference when they can get out of the rain and have tea and coffee on tap.
Cheers for posting up, that was an entertaining piece of writing that had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Very good ,you had me thinking, what a crappy bug out bag they should know better than that,,,good training for the rescue team though ,top stuff well done

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Very good ,you had me thinking, what a crappy bug out bag they should know better than that,,,good training for the rescue team though ,top stuff well done

Bug out bags are non trivial. As it happens I also had a 2 season sleeping bag and a goretex bivvi bag, but as I was so muddy and didn't want to get my kit muddy, I didn't. I have to say I wouldn't have chosen that spot to hide in. I was deployed there. I have been putting together a "staying alive cold" kit, which in such a situation would have kept me pretty comfy aside from the burns... Alas, it doesn't quite test the SAR team as much...

It does bring home how important one of those heat shield bivvi bags can be.

Julia

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Definitely a sobering tale to remind all about how fast things can go badly wrong when you least expect.

BoomStoveSmall.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice one Julia! In my community our Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) folks are all volunteers in addition to the volunteer Search and Rescue teams. As said by others, please donate to them when your budget allows and help them in other creative ways that you can. Thanks, again, Julia for the great report!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well told. I've been stretchered off Great Gable and yes, the teams are fantastic. Guiding a stretcher down a track while running . . .

Gas on boats; take it seriously, folks. Be safe, check, have gas detectors and fit a bubble tester.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cracking write-up,had me going for a bit and was waiting for Birchwood's name to appear :lmao: (sorry Lyn)
Loved the bit about not wanting to get your own kit dirty, priceless ;) also great you found a way to contribute to a very worthy cause.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE