wearing out the cutting edge

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
just a quick question.

i use a lauri PT blade a fair bit and sharpen it with ceramics and a leather strop, i hone it on the ceramics every so often to get the hair splitting edge back. i use the ceramics (spyderco double stuff) on the fine side, little and often just one or two strokes on each microbevel.

lpt13.jpg

the blade i use has a diffrentially temered blade where the edge is hard and the spine is soft, is there any chance that over time i may sharpen away all the hard steel from the edge and render the knife usless? or am i just being over cautious?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I suppose that eventually you will sharpen away all the harder steel, but this will take somewhere between years and decades depending on how you use (and sharpen, with the idea of avoiding gratuitous over-sharpening) the knife.

I personally wouldn't worry about it - it's a tool which is designed to be used and will eventually wear out.

Cheers

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
by the time you wear it out you will be an old man, years ago men sharpend their pocket knives on the front step of the house! so the blade wore out quickly your using good modern kit thats hardly taking any steel off. If your anything like me you will be board of using the same knife pretty soon and you will make/buy another!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I suppose that eventually you will sharpen away all the harder steel, but this will take somewhere between years and decades depending on how you use (and sharpen, with the idea of avoiding gratuitous over-sharpening) the knife.

I personally wouldn't worry about it - it's a tool which is designed to be used and will eventually wear out.

Cheers

+ 1

It is possible Josh - but as Ian says it would take years.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE