We did it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As an aside to Falling Rain's workshop.

There were a few of us who now join the esteemed ranks of "Friction Firemakers". There is no great secret, just preparation, technique and patience.

A big thanks to Falling Rain and Buckshot for the coaching - but boy it feels good.

Ogri the trog

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
It's magic isnt it. Was watching the Ray Mears canoe trip on DVD last night, and watched his mate try and light a friction fire. Ray said it took him an hour to get it going, but the joy on his face as the smoke turned into flames made me shout "Yes" to the telly.

:lmao:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Ed said:
Congrats Orgi (and others) ..... you'll never forget your first time ;)

:D
Ed

Unless you were steaming drunk and.....OH THAT FIRST TIME! Sorry misunderstood.

Yeah it was great! An amazing sense of achievement! Thanks to Nick for showing us a great method! :You_Rock_

Well done Ogri - and good to meet you yesterday.

You've hit the nail on the head - no great secret, just good preparation, a bit of patience, the right technique and of course a lot of physical effort - we all ended up with a good work-out. It's a skill everyone can learn given the correct guidance.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Bright Ember said:
Well done Ogri - and good to meet you yesterday.

You've hit the nail on the head - no great secret, just good preparation, a bit of patience, the right technique and of course a lot of physical effort - we all ended up with a good work-out. It's a skill everyone can learn given the correct guidance.

And you've hit the nail on the head there too Bright Ember. Especially the good preparation part. Can't be stressed enough. Added to that you have to be prepared to prepare properly and not short-cut, otherwise you'll in all likelyhood fail. Re-pointing the drill after bedding in, both at the top, and putting the ridges on the bottom end of the drill all go towards achieving success. And if you don't succeed first time, re-point the top and bottom each time..... (and don't forget those ridges) SAY IT :headbang: ...........RIDGES, RIDGES, RIDGES...... RE-POINT, RE-POINT,RE-POINT :lmao:
Small hole in bearing block of tight grained wood such as Holly, Ash, and use curved side of bearing block.

Congrats again to everyone, and if I had one bit of advice now it would be practice every single day at least once a day for the next few weeks and you will well and truly have it !! :D ..............Oh go on then, you can have Christmas day off :p Must be getting soft in me old age :D

Have a good one to all BCUK

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
falling rain said:
Congrats again to everyone, and if I had one bit of advice now it would be practice every single day at least once a day for the next few weeks and you will well and truly have it !! :D ..............Oh go on then, you can have Christmas day off :p Must be getting soft in me old age :D

Have a good one to all BCUK

Yep,
Did my practice on monday and intend to keep it going for a while yet - though I'll have to find some practice tinders. Whats wrong with an outdoor brew on your own fire on Christmas day?

Thanks all, have a great Christmas and New Year

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE