Ways To Transport Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I never transport any fire, only for fun then. But how'd you do it?

I known a few, you can wrap birch bark around tinder and put in a hot coal.
A dry cattail down head which is dry can be lit and it will burn for a quite long time! It will not show a flame, but will still be alight. :wink:

So bring 'em up! :biggthump

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Whilst out in rainy Scotland not so long ago we used whole horse shoe fungus, got it smouldering and it would smolder all day. Thread some coadage through it and you could carry it along the trail.
You can also bow drill into a whole one and get it smouldering as well.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
Seriously, why do you transport fire? :?:
I do not transport fire. That would be for fun then. I created the thread to see how many different ways there actually were and hear about them. :wink: After all this site is a bit of Junior woodchuck guidebook... :lol:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
theviking , you can light fire by friction now cant you so you`ll always transport fire in your spirit :wink:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tomtom said:
horseshoe fungus.. or if you are paganwolf and have huge mutant cramp balls.. :roll: then you could use them too!!

Tomtom your obsessed with my huge ones arnt you! :wink: why transport fire? well primitive peoples who put a lot of effort and calories into fire starting, if nomadic (or always on the move) ie some native american tribes, they used to transport fire in order to conserve energy and save the agro of starting another fire,so they used to carry an ember to the next camp site and get another fire going double quick for warmth, protection and cooking. not worth the bother now with our methods but crampballs are perfect or wood punk any slow smoldering natural rescourse is good ..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE