Wayland-designed mod to Swiss volcano stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
At a recent visit to Rough Close I was using my Swiss volcano stove to boil up some water for a cuppa. As usual I was using the bottle (filled with water) to help keep it stable. The only alternative to this that I knew of was to hold the stove in place on the ground using, say, tent pegs or pieces of wood.

Wayland started thinking about how the existing pieces of wire might be used to hang it. So when I got home I gave it a go.

Just using the wire without doing anything else was no good as the whole thing tipped easily:
CIMG6864.JPG

CIMG6865.JPG

Wayland's suggestion was to drill a small hole to help keep part of the wire in position - easier to see than explain:
CIMG6867.JPG

This worked well:
CIMG6868.JPG

with only a little slope. This seemed secure and actually worked well:
CIMG6872.JPG

It would probably be agood idea to put a kink in the 'hanging arm' to help stop it sliding - and so spilling boiling water - when actually hanging.

This mod, as described, will only work with the cup - you can't use the bottle to boil water in 'hanging' mode (not without a further mod which might be possible) but just being able to boil the cup when hanging is, for me, a useful alternative to have available.

So ... thanks Wayland for the idea.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Pete - yes it was dead easy and doesn't affect in any way 'normal' use - and no bits to lose either. just need to put a kink etc in the handle to make it more secure when hanging

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE