Waxed trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Talk me out of them please...

I'm a big fan of the right kit for the right job. I fully realise waxed trousers are usually the wrong kit for any job! I can't help but want to wax a pair of brown Dickies carpenter trousers I have. I'm thinking they'd work well in the cooler months with a set of Merino long johns in tandem.

Basically the Dickies have been my go to trew for outdoors and I know I'd love the look of them waxed. sounds vain already,I know! Was thinking of using them when sat around for long periods a opposed to physical activity for extended periods for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts based on use from anyone? I do enjoy my waxed jacket in winter with a layer of wool to avoid the cold clammy feel associated with them. If you can talk me out of it it would save me some time and work lolz

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Don't do it. Having wet cold clammy legs is a horrible feeling. Might work with longjohns, but they certainly don't work without.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
sounds like excessive weight adding to kit to me

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
counterbalancing hahahahahaha i like your thinking but still wouldn't wax my pants

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was gonna wax a canvas bergen once then realised how heavy it would get after testing my technique on an old piece of denim jeans and went for a lightweight waterproof bergen cover instead weighing about 40 grams

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Ok, confession time. I have tried it......and the experience was horrible. I waxed an old pair of cotton chinos - they became heavy and uncomfortable when dry and cold and clammy when wet. The bottoms also seemed to attract the dirt the way waterproof over trousers do. I ditched them pronto.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about some middle ground with a pair of chaps? When i worked in N yorks with gamekeepers, they were standard working wear for beating and such.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kakadu-Tr...pt=UK_Men_s_Trousers&var=&hash=item462077a8fe

The linked ones are oiled not waxed, but there are plenty of waxed ones about.

Plus 1 to this; I wear waxed chaps when I've got to wade through wet fern, bramble and undergrowth in Autumn, they work well, weigh little and are easy to get on and off and stow in/on a pack :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Some food for thought here, cheers chaps, pun intended Mark!

Should have said I'm aware of weight gains in fabric,I do have experience with waxed garments. Would never do a Bergen myself. The thought for this was sat at the base of a tree for extended periods in winter, no physical exertion involved in shooting really. Thanks for the input on actually waxing a set and ditching them pronto!

From an aesthetic point I thought they'd look at home on an old motorcycle, perhaps best to avoid for bushwhacking though! No chaps will be purchased as it want intended to cost owt. I make big batches of wax for repurposing garments so it would have been free.

On the flip side I'm not into light weight bushwhacking, more into conditioning myself to carry whatever kit I feel like taking. Hiking is when I go lightweight usually. Cheers guys

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Wax the legs from an old pair of trousers then, cut off the rest, attach belt loops... jobs a good 'en. :)

Remember though... waxed clothing should be lined....or its horrible. :)

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
True that, would work well. Might just stick to gaiters for the time being. If I get an oldschool cafe racer built soon I'll wax the trew...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
When i worked in N yorks with gamekeepers, they were standard working wear for beating and such.

Yep, I love a waxed chap me...they keep the thorns and wet off ya and work kinda like a waistcoat, warm but not too warm for exercise
I'm not a keeper any more but still use em. I reckon their an underestimated piece of kit for general outdoor use

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE